Sooners Rout Kentucky, 6-1
NORMAN – The No. 14 Oklahoma men’s tennis team picked up its second consecutive win over a ranked opponent Friday when the Sooners routed No. 28 Kentucky, 6-1.
OU captured the doubles point in a thriller, then picked up singles wins on courts one, three, four, five and six en route to the victory. With the win, the Sooners improve to 10-1 on the year. Kentucky moves to 7-4.
“Proud of our guys,” said head coach Nick Crowell. “We hung in there – we were down quadruple match point for the doubles point and we were down a break at No. 3, and we just stayed on the court. That’s what we’ve been telling our guys: you’ve just got to stay out there and good things will happen.”
In doubles action, Jake Van Emburgh and Ferran Calvo suffered their first loss as a pair at the hands of Cesar Burgois and Gus Benson, falling, 6-4, on court one. Alex Bakshi and James Davis took down Ryotaro Matsumura and Enzo Wallart, 7-5, from the No. 2 line.
The point came down to court three, where the German duo of Adrian Oetzbach and Jochen Bertsch held on to win a thriller over Will Bushamuka andAustin Hussey, 7-6 (9).
Max Stewart picked up the first singles win of the day with a 6-0, 6-3 rout of Kento Yamada on court six. The win was the freshman’s fourth consecutive victory, bringing his record to 7-2 on the season.
Jochen Bertsch maintained his undefeated record with a 7-6 (1), 6-3, win over Hussey on court five. 5. Bertsch trailed 5-2 in the first frame before fighting back to force a tiebreaker, which he dominated. The sophomore never trailed in set two and closed out the frame to win his ninth consecutive match.
In the top spot, No. 108 Bakshi held on to beat Bushamuka, 6-4, 7-6 (2). In the first set, Bakshi traded games with Bushamuka until he tied the frame at 4 and took control to capture the frame. Bushamuka took the second set to a tiebreaker, but Bakshi prevailed.
On court four, Van Emburgh picked up his second straight win over a ranked opponent, taking down No. 115 Wallart, 6-4, 7-6 (5). The win pushed the freshman’s winning streak to six matches.
Oetzbach was defeated by No. 63 Matsumura, 6-3, 6-1, on court two.
The Sooners are back in action Thursday, when they host Wichita State at 5 p.m.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
- #108 Alex Bakshi (OU) def. Will Bushamuka (KENTUCKY) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
- #63 Ryotaro Matsumura (KENTUCKY) def. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-3, 6-1
- #22 Ferran Calvo (OU) def. Trey Yates (KENTUCKY) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Jake Van Emburgh (OU) def. #115 Enzo Wallart (KENTUCKY) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
- Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Austin Hussey (KENTUCKY) 7-6 (1), 6-3
- Max Stewart (OU) def. Kento Yamada (KENTUCKY) 6-0, 6-3
- Cesar Bourgois/Gus Benson (KENTUCKY) def. Jake van Emburgh/Ferran Calvo (OU) 6-4
- Alex Bakshi/James Davis (OU) def. Ryotaro Matsumura/Enzo Wallart (KENTUCKY) 7-5
- Adrian Oetzbach/Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Will Bushamuka/Austin Hussey (KENTUCKY) 7-6 (9)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,5,1,3,4)