Sooners Ready for Puerto Rico Classic
NORMAN – The No. 6 Oklahoma men’s golf team travels to Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, this weekend for the Puerto Rico Classic. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will take place Sunday-Tuesday (Feb. 18-20) at the par-72, 6,716-yard Ocean Course at the Rio Mar Beach Resort and Spa.
The tournament features eight top-50 teams in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin top 50 and five in the top 25. OU enters the event ranked No. 6 in the latest rankings release by Golfweek/Sagarin.
The Sooners are coming off a fall schedule that included a team win at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational along with four top-3 finishes.
Junior Brad Dalke led the Sooners with a 69.85 scoring average in the fall and picked up four top-10 finishes. Dalke was recently selected to the 27-player Ben Hogan Award Watch list.
Junior Blaine Hale and senior Grant Hirschman each tallied three top-10 finishes in OU’s first five events of the season.
OU’s lineup for the Puerto Rico Classic features Dalke, Hale and Hirschman along with redshirt sophomores Quade Cummins and Thomas Johnson. Senior Rylee Reinerston, sophomore Riley Casey and sophomore Garett Reband will compete as individuals and be unattached from team scoring at the event.
Georgia Tech (7)
North Carolina State (38)
1. Brad Dalke, Junior: Named to the watch list for the 2018 Ben Hogan Award … Recorded a 69.85 stroke average during the fall season … Has recorded six top-10 finishes in his last seven events dating back to last season … Tied for seventh place at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational, carding all three rounds in the 60s… Took eighth place at the Gopher Invitational … Carded two rounds in the 60s at the Carmel Cup, tying for 11th at 208 (-8).
2. Grant Hirschman, Senior: Had three top-10 finishes in the fall … Tied for second in the stroke play portion of the East Lake Cup with a 73 (+1) … Took eighth in the opening event of the year, shooting 206 (-10) at the Carmel Cup … Followed up by tying for 10th place at the Gopher Invitational in OU’s last event … Named a 2017 Division I PING All-America honorable mention selection ... Competed in all 14 team events, serving as a team captain.
3. Quade Cummins, Redshirt Sophomore: Appeared in two events, once in the team lineup at the Gopher Invitational ... Tallied a 71 (E) in the third round of the Gopher Invitational.
4. Thomas Johnson, Redshirt Sophomore: Competing in first event of the season … Played in last year’s Maxwell, tying for 71st.
5. Blaine Hale, Junior: Earned three top-10 finishes in the fall, while finishing with a 72.31 stroke average… Carded a career-low 64 (-7) in the first round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational and finished the tournament tied for seventh place at 205 (-8) … Named a 2017 Division I PING All-America honorable mention selection.
Individual: Garett Reband, Sophomore: Recorded a 70.60 scoring average during the fall season … Recorded four birdies during the final round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational and finished tied for 23rd place at 211 (-2) … Had career-best weekend at the Carmel Cup, taking third place at 203 (-13), his first top-5 finish at OU … Reband’s 203 at Pebble Beach was a 54-hole career-low.
Individual: Riley Casey, Sophomore: Claimed a share of 41st place at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate with a 54-hole total of 215 (-1) … Carded a three-day total of 208 (-5) at the Nike Collegiate Invitational, ranking as his lowest 54-hole score as a Sooner to pick up his third career top-20 finish … Shot 213 (-3) at the Carmel Cup, tying for 23rd …Competed in seven events as a freshman.
Individual: Rylee Reinerston, Senior: Appeared in two events, once in the team lineup at the Gopher Invitational ... Tallied a 71 (E) in the third round of the Gopher Invitational
The Puerto Rico Classic will be held at The Rio Mar Beach and Spa Resort's Ocean Course for all three rounds.
The 54-hole event begins Sunday with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. ET and will play 18 holes every day, concluding on Tuesday. Teams will be paired based on results after the first two rounds.
Sunday: Mostly sunny with a high of 82 degrees and wind from the east at 17 mph.
Monday: Partly cloudy with a high of 81 degrees and wind from the east at 20 mph.
Tuesday: Party cloudy with a high of 81 degrees and wind from the east-northeast at 20 mph.
OU’S Puerto Rico Classic History
This marks the Sooners’ 14th appearance in the tournament. The Sooners’ last played in the event in 2016 when OU placed seventh with a three-round 859 (-5).
Live scoring is available on GolfStat.com.