NORMAN - The No. 18 Oklahoma men’s tennis team won a tight match over Arkansas, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon to cap off a 3-0 opening week at home.
The Sooners took the doubles point with a 6-3 victory on court two by the sophomore duo of Jochen Bertsch and Adrian Oetzbach, followed by a 6-2 win on court three by newcomers Alex Bakshi and James Davis.
Following the doubles point, Oklahoma grabbed singles wins on courts two, three, five, and six to win the match. Bakshi defeated Arkansas’ Adam Sanjurjo, 6-2, 6-0, at the No. 2 spot
For the third consecutive match, Oetzbach clinched the victory for the Sooners, besting the Razorbacks’ Oscar Mesquida 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-2, on court three.
“Overall, it’s a team effort. We made a statement today that we’re strong,” Oetzbach stated. “A bunch of new guys had their first wins and that’s pretty important for them.”
Freshman Max Stewart concluded the day for the Sooners with a win over the Razorbacks' Jose Alonso, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4, on court six. Stewart improved to 2-0 in his collegiate career.
OU head coach Nick Crowell recapped the match and weekend: “To be able to step up with a bunch of new players and young guys is what we wanted to see and they passed the test today. Now, we’ve just got to recover and get a little better this week for Arizona and Abilene Christian next weekend.”
The Sooners return to action next weekend with another home doubleheader against Arizona and Abilene Christian. The opener versus Arizona is scheduled for 10 a.m. CT. Saturday before Oklahoma returns to action against Abilene Christian in the evening at 6 p.m. CT. at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
Admission to the Headington Family Tennis Center is always free.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
No. 18 Oklahoma 5, Arkansas 2
- Jose Salazar (ARK) def. Ferran Calvo (OU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
- Alex Bakshi (OU) def. Adam Sanjurjo (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
- Adrian Oetzbach (OU) def. Oscar Mesquida (ARK) 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-2
- Josh Howard-Tripp (ARK) def. Jake van Emburgh (OU) 6-4, 6-2
- Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Pedro Alonso (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
- Max Stewart (OU) def. Jose Alonso (ARK) 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4
- Ferran Calvo/Jake van Emburgh (OU) vs. Adam Sanjurjo/Oscar Mesquida (ARK), 2-4, unfinished
- #43 Jochen Bertsch/Adrian Oetzbach (OU) def. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (ARK) 6-3
- James Davis/Alex Bakshi (OU) def. Jose Alonso/Pedro Alonso (ARK) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (2, 5, 4, 1, 3, 6)