Sooners Close Fall Season in Mexico
NORMAN – Oklahoma women’s golf concludes its fall schedule this weekend when it competes in the inaugural Battle at the Beach in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. The Sooners will play Friday through Sunday at the par-71, 6,209-yard Club Campestre San Jose.
The Sooners’ trip to Mexico marks their first tournament outside of the United States since the Lady Puerto Rico Classic in 2011.
“We’re excited to wrap up the fall portion of our season in Mexico,” said OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell. “The course is fantastic and our team worked hard in a great practice round Thursday.”
The tournament will be especially meaningful for senior Ana Ruiz, a product of Chihuahua, Mexico. Ruiz will start in the No. 3 position for the Sooners.
Oklahoma is joined in the field by Auburn, Baylor, Houston, Mississippi State, No. 24 North Carolina, North Texas, Ohio State TCU, No. 11 Texas, Tulane, No. 1 UCLA, Vanderbilt, No. 25 Virginia and No. 22 Wake Forest.
Live scoring for the 54-hole tournament will be available on BirdieFire.com.
1. Julienne Soo, junior: Captured her third top-10 finish of the year, tying for ninth place with a 2-under 214 at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational…Named the Big 12 Women’s Golfer of the Month for the month of September after recording two top-10 finishes and shooting under par in five of six rounds...Her 204 (-9) at the season-opening Jim West Challenge is the second-lowest 54-hole score in program history (also owns the lowest score of 203 from the 2017 Clover Cup)…Secured ninth place at the Schooner Fall Classic with a 3-under 210…Dating back to last season, has finished at par or better in 28 of her last 45 rounds…Boasts nine top-10 finishes in her career, all of which have come in her last 14 tournaments.
2. Hannah Wood, senior: Picked up her 10th career top-10 finish, earning sixth place at the 2017 Schooner Fall Classic while playing as an individual...Shot a 209 (-4) in the Schooner…Her 45 career par-or-better rounds rank second in program history.
3. Ana Ruiz, senior: OU's top finisher in The Betsy Rawls, tying for 31st place at 225 (+9)…Tied for 47th place after shooting a 220 (+7) in the Schooner Fall Classic…Opened the season with a career-low 54-hole score of 212 (-1) to tie for 18th at the Jim West Challenge…Owns eight career top-20 finishes and three top-10 finishes.
4. Rylee Pedigo, senior: Her second start of the season…Competed in nine of 11 team events last season, finishing with a 75.56 (+3.67) stroke average...Fired a season-best 216 (E) to share 13th at the 2017 Florida State Match Up, highlighted by a career-best 67 (-5) in the final round...Owns four career top-20 finishes and two top-10 finishes...Claimed second place in the 2016 Clover Cup after shooting 211 (-5).
5. Kaitlin Milligan, freshman: In her lineup debut, tied for 16th at the Schooner Fall Classic with a 1-under (212)…The first OU freshman to earn a top-20 finish since current seniors Ana Ruiz and Hannah Wood in 2014.
Individual Competitor - Valerie Tanguay, senior: Tied a career-low round score of 69 (-2) in the second round of the season-opening Jim West Challenge…Tied for 26th at the Jim West Challenge with a 216 (+3)… Has finished in the top 20 of both previous Schooner Fall Classic appearances, taking 17th in 2016 (213, even) and tying for 19th in 2015 (143, +1)…Played in all 11 team events last season, putting together a 73.42 (+1.52) season-stroke average…Owns seven career top-20 finishes, including one ninth-place finish.