NORMAN – The 20th-ranked University of Oklahoma women’s golf team opens the 2017-18 season at the Jim West Challenge in The Woodlands, Texas, on Monday. The two-day event will take place at the par-71, 6,010-yard Fazio Course at The Club at Carlton Woods.
The Sooners tee off with a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. CT on Monday for 36 holes of continuous play. The third round of the 54-hole tournament begins at 8:30 a.m. CT on Tuesday.
Oklahoma head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell is in her ninth year at the helm of the Sooners’ golf program and returns a team that averaged a program-record 290.73 strokes per round in 2016-17. The Sooners return all five golfers from their 2017 NCAA Regional lineup – their sixth NCAA Tournament appearance in the last seven seasons.
“We’re excited about the start of another season and the chance to compete at the Jim West Challenge,” said Drouin-Luttrell. “We have an experienced, deep roster that has brought good competition in practice so far.”
Joining OU in the Jim West Challenge are Augusta, No. 5 Duke, No. 21 Kent State, Missouri, UNCG, Southern Miss, No. 15 Texas A&M, TCU, UTSA, Texas State, No. 19 Texas Tech and Tulsa.
Live stats will be available on GolfStat.com.
1. Julienne Soo, junior: Owned a team-best and program second-best 72.38 (+0.47) season-stroke average in 2016-17...Individual qualifier for 2017 NCAA Championships...Named to All-Big 12 Team...Academic All-Big 12 First Team selection...Named Big 12 Golfer of the Month for the month of March...Matched a program record with 22 par-or-better rounds on the season n 2016-17 and finished at par or better in seven of 11 events...In her first two seasons, claimed one individual tournament title, six top-10 finishes and eight top-20 finishes...Tied for third in last season's edition of the Jim West Challenge with a score of 207 (-9).
2. Sydney Youngblood, redshirt freshman: Played in OU's first three tournaments of 2016-17 before suffering a shoulder surgery and claiming a medical redshirt…Shot a 224 (+8) to tie for 48th in the 2016 Jim West Challenge.
3. Valerie Tanguay, senior: Played in all 11 team events last season, putting together a 73.42 (+1.52) season-stroke average...Fired a career-low-tying 69 (-3) in the third round of last year's Jim West Challenge and finished the tournament at 214 (-2) to tie for 15th...Owns seven career top-20 finishes, including one ninth-place finish.
4. Ana Ruiz, senior: Finished the 2016-17 with a 74.21 (+2.30) stroke average...Owns seven career top-20 finishes and three top-10 finishes...Fired a career-best 211 (-5) to finish in a share of fifth at the 2017 Clemson Invitational.
5. Rylee Pedigo, senior: Competed in nine of 11 team events last season, finishing with a 75.56 (+3.67) stroke average...Fired a season-best 216 (E) to share 13th at the 2017 Florida State Match Up, highlighted by a career-best 67 (-5) in the final round...Owns four career top-20 finishes and two top-10 finishes...Claimed second place in the 2016 Clover Cup after shooting 211 (-5).
Kaitlin Milligan, freshman (competing as an individual): Enters her first tournament as a Sooner...2017 Oklahoma Class 6A State Champion at Norman North High School...Member of the 2017 All-State Golf Team...Oklahoma 6A Regional champion in 2017 and 2014...Named the Oklahoman's 2017 All-City Female Golfer of the Year.