NORMAN — The Oklahoma men's golf team looks to advance to its seventh consecutive NCAA Championships at the NCAA Stanford Regional this week. The three-day, 54-hole tournament is taking place Monday-Wednesday (May 15-17) at the par-70, 6,727-yard Stanford Golf Course in Stanford, Calif.
The regional is one of six 54-hole preliminary events for the NCAA Championships finals. The low five teams and low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the NCAA finals, scheduled for May 26-31 at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.
“We're excited about Stanford,” OU head Coach Ryan Hybl said. “For one, I think our guys genuinely enjoy going out West … We're going to go out there with the same mindset we have every single week, and that's to put ourselves with an opportunity to hopefully win a championship.”
The Sooners, who are the No. 3 seed in the regional, are coming off of a fifth-place finish at the 2017 Big 12 Championship. Senior Max McGreevy was OU's best finisher, claiming a share of fifth individually. Junior Rylee Reinertson and sophomore Brad Dalke also placed in the top 10, tying for ninth.
OU's lineup for the NCAA Stanford Regional will include McGreevy, Reinertson, junior Grant Hirschman, Dalke and sophomore Blaine Hale.
The Sooners will tee off from hole No. 1 starting at 10:30 a.m. CT on Monday and will be paired with No. 1 seed Stanford and No. 2 seed Baylor.
THE FIELD WITH REGIONAL SEED (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
1. Stanford (8)
2. Baylor (6)
3. Oklahoma (14)
4. Georgia Tech (22)
5. Pepperdine (35)
6. North Carolina (31)
7. North Florida (40)
8. BYU (48)
9. Houston (56)
10. Ohio State (57)
11. UC Santa Barbara (68)
12. Sacramento State (104)
13. South Dakota State (196)
1. Collin Morikawa, California
2. Hayden Shieh, Santa Clara
3. David Kim, UC Irvine
4. Justin Doeden, Minnesota
5. Andres Gonzalez, Long Beach State
6. Felix Mory, Cal State Northridge
7. Fidel Concepcion, Southern Utah
8. Grant Booth, Nevada
9. Brian Humphreys, Boise State
10. Mike Graboyes, Cornell
1. Max McGreevy, Senior: Dominated at the Lone Star Invitational, firing a three-round 196 (-20) to earn his third career title … Recorded all three rounds in the 60s at the Lone Star Invite, including a school-record-matching 63 (-9) in the second round… Earned co-medalist honors at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate … Placed in the top 20 in nine of 12 tournaments this season, finishing in a tie for fifth at the Big 12 Championship most recently… Named to the 2017 All-Big 12 Team.
2. Grant Hirschman, Junior: Claimed his second individual win of the season at the Southern Highlands Collegiate, earning the title with a birdie on the first playoff hole … Earned his first career tournament win at the Gopher Invitational, firing a birdie on the final hole to earn the title outright … Has one other top-five placing, tying for fifth at The Maxwell … Finished in the top 20 in seven events this season, including five in a row during the spring.
3. Rylee Reinertson, Junior: Tied for fourth at the Lone Star Invitational, marking the best finish of his career and his first career top-five placing … Most recently, earned two consecutive top-10 showings with a tie for sixth at The Maxwell and a tie for ninth at the Big 12 Championship … Has one other top-20 finish this season, a tie for 12th at the Southern Intercollegiate … Named the 2015 and 2016 Nebraska Amateur Golfer of the Year.
4. Brad Dalke, Sophomore: Coming off of back-to-back top 10 finishes, tying for 10th at The Maxwell and tying for ninth at the Big 12 Championship … Holds two other top-20 finishes this season, a tie for 18th at the Lone Star Invitational and a tie for 20th at the Carmel Cup … Matched a career low with a 66 (-6) in the final round of the 3M Augusta Invitational … Earned an invite to The Masters April 6-9 after finishing runner-up at the 2016 U.S. Amateur.
5. Blaine Hale, Sophomore: Earned two top-five finishes this season, tying for fourth at the Ka'anapali Collegiate Classic and sharing fifth at the Gopher Invitational, the first top-five placings of his career … Shot a career-low round, 66, three times this year (Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational first round, Ka'anapali Collegiate Classic second and third rounds) … Most recently, tied for 43rd at the Big 12 Championship … Named Big 12 Co-Golfer of the Month in November.
The par-70, 6,727-yard Stanford Golf Course will serve as the site for the NCAA Stanford Regional.
Fifty-four holes will be played over three days. The first and second round are scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. CT on Monday and Tuesday, and the final round is set for a 10 a.m. start on Wednesday. The low five teams and low individual not on those teams will advance to the NCAA Championships finals.
Monday: Partly cloudy with a high of 62 degrees and wind from the west, northwest at 10-20 mph.
Tuesday: Cloudy with a high of 60 degrees, a 20 percent chance of rain and wind from the west at 10-20 mph.
Wednesday: Sunny with a high of 65 degrees and wind from the northwest at 10-20 mph.
OU'S NCAA REGIONAL HISTORY
Last year, the Sooners placed second at the NCAA Stillwater Regional to advance to the NCAA Championships for the sixth year in a row and 37th time overall. At the national tournament in Eugene, Ore., OU advanced to the quarterfinal round of match play championship.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.