MORGANTOWN, W. Va. – The No. 38 Oklahoma women’s tennis team swept West Virginia, 4-0, Sunday to close out the final weekend of the regular season.
The Sooners (14-7, 4-5 Big 12) opened the match with the doubles point, then collected wins on courts one, five and six en route to the Oklahoma’s seventh consecutive victory over the Mountaineers (4-14, 0-8 Big 12). OU closed its Big 12 schedule with four wins in its final five matches against league opponents.
"We played a good enough match today to get the job done and finish out the regular season with two wins," said head coach Audra Cohen. "We are excited to get back to Oklahoma and work on a few things we learned from these wins before the conference tournament."
In doubles play, Lily Miyazaki and Christie Brigante fell to WVU's Paula Goetz and Lyn Yuen Choo, 6-1, on court two. OU's Ann Selim and Simran Sethi defeated Habiba Shaker and Sofia Duran, 6-3, in the No. 3 slot before No. 78 Julie Byrne and Malene Stripp closed out WVU's Kaja Mrgole and Christina Jordan, 6-3, to clinch the opening point for the Sooners.
Brigante set the tone for Oklahoma once again, defeating WVU’s Kirsten White, 6-3, 6-0, from the No. 6 line. After a shutout of Iowa State’s Natalie Phippen Friday, Brigante capped off the weekend with another straight-set victory.
At No. 5, Selim made quick work of Abigail Rosiello, winning 6-1, 6-1. The freshman finishes the regular season at 12-4 in singles, with all but one of her victories coming in straight sets.
On court one, No. 30 Miyazaki clinched the match for Oklahoma with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over the Mountaineers' Mrgole on court one. The victory extended the junior’s winning streak to four matches.
When play was halted, Mimi Fotopoulos led the Mountaineers' Goetz 6-2, 2-1 on court two. Byrne was down a set and trailed 5-4 on court three, while Stripp was up a set on WVU's Yuen Choo, but trailed, 5-2, in the second frame when play was abandoned.
The Sooners return to Norman to host the Big 12 Championships at the Headington Family Tennis Center, April 27-30. No. 6 seed OU will take on No. 3 seed Baylor on Friday at 4 p.m. CT in the quarterfinal round.
Tickets for the tournament can be purchased here.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
1. Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Kaja Mrgole (WVU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Paula Goetz (WVU) vs. Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
3. Christina Jordan (WVU) vs. Julie Byrne (OU) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
4. Lyn Yuen Choo (WVU) vs. Malene Stripp (OU) 3-6, 5-2, unfinished
5. Ann Selim (OU) def. Abigail Rosiello (WVU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Kirsten White (WVU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Julie Byrne/Malene Stripp (OU) def. Kaja Mrgole/Christina Jordan (WVU) 6-3
2. Paula Goetz/Lyn Yuen Choo (WVU) def. Lily Miyazaki/Christiana Brigante (OU) 6-1
3. Ann Selim/Simran Sethi (OU) def. Habiba Shaker/Sofia Duran (WVU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,1)