AMES, Iowa – The No. 38 Oklahoma women’s tennis team downed Iowa State, 4-0, Friday on the road.
The Sooners (13-7, 3-5 Big 12) opened the match with the doubles point, with victories on courts two and three. Oklahoma tabbed singles wins on courts one, five and six to defeat the Cyclones (15-9, 1-7 Big 12).
"I'm happy with how we stepped up at two and three doubles today and played more aggressive tennis," said head coah Audra Cohen. "In singles we came out confident and each player was focused on taking care of her court."
In doubles play, Lily Miyazaki and Christie Brigante made quick work of Iowa State's Annabella Bonnadonna and Karen Alvarez, winning 6-2 from the No. 2 line.
On court one, No. 78 Julie Byrne and Malene Stripp fell to Samantha Budai and Maty Cancini, 6-2.
The doubes point came down to court three, where OU's Ann Selim and Simran Sethi held off the Cyclones' Regina Espindola and Erin Freeman to win 7-5 and capture the point for the Sooners.
In singles play, Brigante set the tone for Oklahoma, shutting out ISU’s Natalie Phippen, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 6 line. Brigante is the second Sooner to record a shutout this spring.
"Christie had a great day from start to finish. She was super focused today, and that made it a routine work day for her," said Cohen. "I'm proud of her continued growth."
ITA No. 30 Miyazaki defeated Cancini, 6-1, 6-1, to give OU a 3-0 lead in the match. The win improves the junior to 12-4 in singles this spring.
Selim clinched the match for the Sooners with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Iowa State's Alvarez on court five. The freshman improved to 11-4 in singles during dual-match play.
When play was halted, Mimi Fotopoulos was up a set on court two after defeating Espindola, 6-4, in the first frame. Byrne was one game away from sealing her match, leading Freeman, 6-4, 5-4 on court three, while Stripp was locked in a first-set tiebreaker with Bonadonna on court three.
The Sooners travel to West Virginia on Sunday to take on the Mountaineers at 11 a.m. CT in the final match of the regular season.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
1. Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Maty Cancini (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Regina Espindola (ISU) vs. Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) 4-6, unfinished
3. Erin Freeman (ISU) vs. Julie Byrne (OU) 4-6, 4-5, unfinished
4. Annabella Bonadonna (ISU) vs. Malene Stripp (OU) 6-6, unfinished
5. Ann Selim (OU) def. Karen Alvarez (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Natalie Phippen (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Samantha Budai/Maty Cancini (ISU) def. Julie Byrne/Malene Stripp (OU) 6-2
2. Lily Miyazaki/Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Annabella Bonadonna/Karen Alvarez (ISU) 6-2
3. Ann Selim/Simran Sethi (OU) def. Regina Espindola/Erin Freeman, (ISU) 7-5 (0-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,5)