NORMAN — The No. 11 Oklahoma men’s golf team continues its spring season on Monday at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships in Athens, Ga. The single-day, 36-hole tournament will be held at the par-72, 6,917-yard Athens Country Club.
“It will be a sprint tomorrow with only 36 holes, but our guys are ready for the challenge,” OU head coach Ryan Hybl said. “Athens Country Club is a great golf course and the weather will be challenging tomorrow, and I am looking forward to seeing our guys all play together in this format.”
The Sooners are making a quick turnaround, returning to competition after concluding the Southern Highlands Collegiate on Wednesday. OU finished seventh in the three-day event that features one of the best fields in college golf and was led by junior Grant Hirschman, who earned his second individual win of the season by claiming medalist honors in a playoff.
OU’s lineup for the Southern Intercollegiate will include senior Max McGreevy, Hirschman, junior Rylee Reinertson and sophomores Brad Dalke and Blaine Hale. Freshmen Riley Casey and Garett Reband will compete as individuals and be unattached from team scoring.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Florida State (31)
Kennesaw State (32)
Ohio State [individuals only]
1. Max McGreevy, Senior: Earned co-medalist honors at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, his second career tournament win … Placed in the top 20 in six of seven tournaments this season: the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, the Carmel Cup (T8th), The Prestige at PGA WEST (T9th), the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic (T12th), the Gopher Invitational (T16th) and the Southern Highlands Collegiate (T18th) … Currently ranked No. 57 individually by Golfweek/Sagarin.
2. Grant Hirschman, Junior: Coming off his second individual win of the season, earning the title at the Southern Highlands Collegiate with a birdie on the first playoff hole … Claimed his first career tournament win at the Gopher Invitational, firing a birdie on the final hole to earn the title outright … Has recorded one other top-20 finish this year, tying for 14th at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational … Individually ranked No. 47 by Golfweek/Sagarin.
3. Rylee Reinertson, Junior: Coming off his best finish of the season, a tie for 42nd, at the Southern Highlands Collegiate … Named the 2016 Nebraska Amateur Golfer of the Year, his second consecutive year earning the honor ... Won the 2016 Nebraska Match Play Championship … Runner-up at the 2016 Nebraska Amateur Championship.
4. Blaine Hale, Sophomore: Earned two top-five finishes during the fall, tying for fourth at the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic and sharing fifth at the Gopher Invitational, the first top-five placings of his career … Shot a career-low round, 66, three times this year (Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational first round, Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic second and third rounds) … Most recently, tied for 39th at The Prestige at PGA WEST … Ranked No. 50 individually by Golfweek/Sagarin.
5. Brad Dalke, Sophomore: Recorded the sixth top-20 placing of his career after tying for 20th in the Carmel Cup … Runner-up at the 2016 U.S. Amateur … Represented Team USA at the World Amateur Team Championships Sept. 21-24, tying for 20th individually … Returning to competition after tying for 39th at The Prestige at PGA WEST.
Individual: Riley Casey, Freshman: Placed 10th at the Gopher Individual tournament, his first career top-10 placing … Earned a share of 25th place in his collegiate debut at the Carmel Cup … Shot his career-low round, a 68 (-3), in the final round of The Prestige at PGA WEST … Coming off a tie for 46th at the Southern Highlands Collegiate.
Individual: Garett Reband, Freshman: Made his collegiate debut at the Gopher Individual tournament, earning a share of 17th place to record his first career top-20 finish … Named a 2015 Rolex Junior All-America honorable mention selection … Tournament wins include the 2015 Bart Granger High School Tournament and the 2015 AJGA Valero Texas Open.
The par-72, 6,917-yard Athens Country Club serves as the site for the Southern Intercollegiate Championships.
Thirty-six holes will be played on Monday. The first round is slated to begin at 8 a.m. CT and the second round is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT, both rounds beginning with a shotgun start.
OU’S SOUTHERN INTERCOLLEGIATE CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY
This showing marks the Sooners’ second all-time appearance in the Southern Intercollegiate. OU’s only previous time competing at the tournament was in 1983, when the team took eighth.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.