NORMAN – The No. 47 Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to No. 10 Baylor, 4-0, in its conference opener Friday night at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
The loss snapped OU's five-match winning streak.
“Today was tough. We didn’t play our best on every court in doubles and I think that kind of set the tone. We just didn’t have the tools or the variety to win at a few spots in singles – we got exploited in terms of our ability to play both offense and defense,” said head coach Audra Cohen.
With the loss, the Sooners move to 8-3 and 0-1 in the Big 12, while Baylor, improves to 11-4 and 1-0 in league play.
The Sooners dropped the doubles point to open the match. At No. 2, Lily Miyazaki and Simran Sethi fell to Angie Shakraichuk and Jessica Hinojosa, 6-2. In their first match as a pair, Christiana Brigante and Ann Selim fell to Rhiann Newborn and Theresa Van Zyl, 6-2, to give the Lady Bears the doubles point.
When play was halted, Julie Byrne and Malene Stripp trailed No. 22 Blair Shankle and Elizabeth Profit, 5-4.
Selim suffered her second loss of the season when she was defeated by Shakhraichuk, 6-3, 6-1 on court five. Baylor extended its lead to 3-0 as OU's Stripp fell to Profit, 6-2, 6-4, on court three.
In a battle of top-25 players on court one, No. 22 Miyazaki was defeated by No. 11 Shankle, 6-2, 7-5, ending her six-match winning streak. In the second frame, Miyazaki trailed early, but aced a serve to close the gap to one game, then broke a critical point to tie the set at 5-all before Shankle pulled away.
When play was halted, redshirt senior Mimi Fotopoulos was down 3-2 in the second frame after dropping her first set to No. 110 Newborn on court two. At No. 6, Brigante trailed Hinojosa 4-2 in the second set after she fell in a first-set tiebreaker.
Byrne was down 2-0 to Van Zyl in the third set when play was stopped. Byrne was the only Sooner to win a frame, taking her first 6-3 before Van Zyl won the second 6-2 to force the deciding set.
The Sooners will be on the road for their next two matches as they visit Old Dominion Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. CT, followed by VCU Wednesday at 1 p.m. CT.
Live stats will be available for both matches.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
1. #11 Blair Shankle (BU) def. #22 Lily Miyazaki (OU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) vs. #110 Rhiann Newborn (BU) 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
3. Elizabeth Profit (BU) def. Malene Stripp (OU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Julie Byrne (OU) vs. Theresa Van Zyl (BU) 6-3, 2-6, 0-2, unfinished
5. Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) def. Ann Selim (OU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Christiana Brigante (OU) vs. Jessica Hinojosa (BU) 6-7 (1-7), 2-4, unfinished
1. Malene Stripp/Julie Byrne (OU) vs. #22 Elizabeth Profit/Blair Shankle (BU) 4-5, unfinished
2. Angie Shakhraichuk/Jessica Hinojosa (BU) def. Lily Miyazaki/Simran Sethi (OU) 6-2
3. Rhiann Newborn/Theresa Van Zyl (BU) def. Christiana Brigante/Ann Selim (OU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,3,1)