NORMAN – The No. 11 Oklahoma men’s golf team faces one of the best fields of the season this week at the Southern Highlands Collegiate. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will take place March 6-8 (Monday-Wednesday) at the par-72, 7,374-yard Southern Highlands Golf Club in Las Vegas.
The 15-team field is one of the most competitive in college golf, featuring six teams in the top 10 of Golfweek/Sagarin rankings and 10 in the top 25.
“We’re always excited to go out to Las Vegas,” eighth-year head coach Ryan Hybl said. “It’s become a home away from home for us. We’ve played the Vickers Cup out there and we’ve been going out to this event for five years now. I know our guys love the golf course. It’ll be tough, it’ll be firm, and it’ll be fast—the things that make Vegas hard.
“All that being said, we’re going to have to go play some great golf because the field’s unbelievable,” Hybl continued.
The Sooners are coming off a third-place showing at The Prestige at PGA WEST. Redshirt freshman Quade Cummins was the Sooners’ best finisher, earning his first top-five placing with a tie for third.
OU’s lineup for the Southern Highlands Collegiate will include senior Max McGreevy, juniors Grant Hirschman and Rylee Reinertson, Cummins and freshman Riley Casey.
“This is a different squad than we’ve had a lot in the last year, and I know that these guys are excited and hungry to get out there and go show what they can do,” Hybl said.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Oklahoma State (3)
Texas Tech (9)
San Diego State (23)
Arizona State (25)
1. Max McGreevy, Senior: Earned co-medalist honors at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, his second career tournament win … Placed in the top 20 in five of six tournaments this season: the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, the Carmel Cup (T8th), The Prestige at PGA WEST (T9th), the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic (T12th) and the Gopher Invitational (T16th) … Named to the 2016 Division I PING All-America Third Team for his junior campaign.
2. Quade Cummins, Redshirt Freshman: Finished The Prestige at PGA WEST with a share of third place, his first career top-five finish, with a three-round 209 (-4), his career-low 54-hole score … Carded two rounds in the 60s during The Prestige at PGA WEST, bringing his career total to three … Competed in four tournaments during the fall season, three times in the team lineup … Won the 2016 Oklahoma Amateur Championship.
3. Rylee Reinertson, Junior: Appeared in one tournament so far this season, the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate … Won the 2016 Nebraska Match Play Championship … Runner-up at the 2016 Nebraska Amateur Championship … Earned his first career top-20 finish last season with a tie for 20th at the UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational.
4. Riley Casey, Freshman: Placed 10th at the Gopher Individual tournament, his first career top-10 placing … Earned a share of 25th place in his collegiate debut at the Carmel Cup … Shot his career-low round, a 68 (-3), in the final round of The Prestige at PGA WEST en route to a tie for 32nd.
5. Grant Hirschman, Junior: Claimed his first career tournament win at the Gopher Invitational, firing a birdie on the final hole to earn the title outright … Has recorded one other top-20 finish this year, tying for 14th at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational … Coming off a tie for 45th at The Prestige at PGA WEST.
The par-72, 7,374-yard Southern Highlands Golf Club serves as the site for the Southern Highlands Collegiate.
Fifty-four holes will be played over three days, and tee times will begin each day at 11 a.m. CT. The Sooners will start the first round at 11 a.m. CT Monday from hole No. 1.
Monday: Sunny with a high of 60 degrees and wind from the east, northeast at 5-10 mph.
Tuesday: Sunny with a high of 69 degrees and light and variable winds.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny with a high of 79 degrees and winds from the northeast at 5-10 mph.
OU’S SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS COLLEGIATE HISTORY
With a three-round 879 (+15), the Sooners claimed third in last year’s competition. This showing marks the fifth consecutive season OU has competed in the Southern Highlands Collegiate, previously the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters. Its best finish came in 2015, when the team earned second.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.