In doubles, Guillermo Alcorta and Andrew Harris quickly ousted Mikolaj Caruk and Tomasz Soltyka 8-2. Axel Alvarez and Dane Webb followed by putting away Ethan Vaughn and Semion Branzburg 8-3.
“Our doubles at 1 and 2 was really good,” head coach John Roddick said. “We were playing ok at 3. I would have liked to seen them finish, but in a clinch-clinch that’s what happens.”
Roddick’s team won three singles matches to seal the match.
Playing in the No. 3 spot, Webb struck first, defeating Branzburg in straight sets 6-0, 6-1. Alex Ghilea kept his composure through three second set break points to beat Peter Mimnagh-Fleming 6-3, 6-1.
Andrew Harris clinched OU’s first round triumph. The freshman cruised to a 6-0 first set and topped Soltyka with a 6-4 second set.
“It’s always hard when you win a first set 6-0 or 6-1,” Roddick said. “It seems so easy and it always gets tougher. It’s a very weird momentum shift that goes on. So for them to close their guys out and get the win, that’s a pretty good effort.”
OU faces Harvard in the regional championship Sunday at 2 p.m. The Crimson eliminated the Auburn Tigers 4-1 in Saturday’s other first-round match.
For more on OU men’s tennis follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
Oklahoma, 4 Montana 0
1. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Mikolaj Caruk (UM) dnf
2. Axel Alvarez (OU) vs. Andrew Warren (UM) dnf
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. Semion Branzburg (UM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Andrew Harris (OU) def. Tomasz Soltyka 6-0, 6-4
5. Austin Siegel (OU) vs. Ethan Vaughn (UM) dnf
6. Alex Ghilea (OU) def. Peter Mimnagh- Fleming (UM) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4*
1. Alvarez/Webb (OU) def. Vaughn/ Branzburg (UM) 8-3
2. Alcorta/Harris (OU) def. Caruk/Soltyka (UM) 8-2
3. Ghilea/Papac (OU) vs. Warren/Braun (UM) dnf
Order of finish: 2, 1
Time of Match: 2:01