NORMAN, Okla— The 18th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Championships with a 4-2 victory over No. 55 Wichita State Friday, May 9, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the University of Miami campus in Coral Gables, Florida.
"Today we did exactly what I hoped we would do by winning a relatively quick doubles point and staying away from any three set matches," OU head coach David Mullins said. "We got the job done and I am thrilled that we are advancing to the second round."
The Sooners (17-6, 6-3 Big 12) struck early in doubles with senior Whitney Ritchie and freshman Morgan Chumney notching an 8-1 win on court one. Clinching the point for Oklahoma was the duo of senior Mia Lancaster and sophomore Zita Engbroks. The pair recorded an 8-5 victory on court three to give the Sooners a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
Senior Hermon Brhane wasted no time in adding to the Sooners lead as she topped Rebecca Pedrazzi in straight sets at the No. 2 spot.
The Shockers (19-7, 8-0 MVC) responded quickly putting up wins at No. 3 and 6 to tie the match at 2 with three courts left in play.
Junior Abbi Melrose put the Sooners within one point of winning with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Montse B. Fernandez. Seconds later, Ritchie clinched the match for Oklahoma with a 6-4, 6-4 victory at the No. 1 spot.
Oklahoma will play the winner of the Boston University/Miami match Saturday, May 10 at 1 p.m. CT. The winner of that match will advance to the round of 16 in Athens, Georgia beginning Thursday, May 15.
OKLAHOMA 4, WICHITA STATE 2
1. Ritchie/Chumney (OU) def. Kovalova/Blaskova (WSU) 8-1
2. Pedrazzi/Fernandez (WSU) def. Brhane/Wofford (OU) 8-2
3. Lancaster/Engbroks (OU)def. Schiller/Stevens (WSU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Julia Schiller (WSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Lucia Kovalova (WSU) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) Abby Stevens (WSU), unfinished
5. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Montse B. Fernandez (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Veronika Blaskova (WSU) def. Whitney Wofford (OU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 6, 5, 1