NORMAN, Okla. -- The 12th-ranked University of Oklahoma women’s golf team will begin NCAA tournament play this weekend in Cle Elum, Wash., as the No. 3 seed at the NCAA West Regional. The 24-team field will play Thursday-Sunday (May 8-10) at the 6,252-yard, par-72 Tumble Creek Golf Course at Suncadia Resort.
The Sooners are coming off a dominating win at the Big 12 Championship (April 25-27) where they took first place with an event-record 861 (-3). All five Sooners placed in the top 12, with senior Chirapat Jao-Javanil carding a three-day 209 (-7) en route to the Big 12 individual title. Jao-Javanil’s victory marked the sixth of her career, breaking the school record for career wins.
Fifth-year OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell said she feels good about her team going into regional play.
“I think we just have to play one shot at a time and one hole at a time,” Drouin-Luttrell said. “That’s one of the things we’ve said over and over again all year. Postseason is just a different season. We’re definitely confident after the way we played at the Big 12 Championship, but we still have to take care of business when we get out there.”
The Sooners will tee off Thursday at 10:36 a.m. CT with No. 1 seed USC and No. 2 seed Arizona State.
TOURNAMENT FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS)
1. USC (1)
2. Arizona State (6)
3. Oklahoma (12)
4. Washington (7)
5. Clemson (18)
6. Wake Forest (26)
7. Northwestern (14)
8. Michigan State (27)
9. Iowa State (25)
10. Georgia Regents (37)
11. Oregon (33)
12. Texas A&M (32)
13. UC Davis (41)
14. Denver (44)
15. San Diego State (53)
16. Wisconsin (46)
17. Gonzaga (43)
18. Notre Dame (54)
19. Tennessee (51)
20. Chattanooga (69)
21. New Mexico (67)
22. New Mexico State (106)
23. Portland State (101)
24. Detroit Mercy (185)
1. Alison Knowles (Louisiana Monroe)
2. Regan De Guzman (San Jose State)
3. Clariss Guce (Cal State Northridge)
4. Fabiola Arriaga (Texas-San Antonio)
5. Madchen Ly (Cal State Fresno)
6. Alexandra White (BYU)
1. Chirapat Jao-Javanil, Senior: The 2012 NCAA champion … Two-time All-American and four-time All-Big 12 honoree … Coming off an individual title at the Big 12 Championship (7-under 209) … Ranks first at OU in career scoring average (73.08; +1.38) and career wins (6) … Has recorded three of the four best single-season averages in OU history … Has finished in the top five in 33 percent of her career events … Tied for sixth place out of 166 competitors at the 2013 NCAA Central Regional.
2. Alexandra Kaui, Freshman: Big 12 Freshman of the Year and two-time Big 12 Golfer of the Month … Named to All-Big 12 Team … Coming off a tie for sixth place at the Big 12 Championship … Holds OU records for 18-hole score and 18-hole score vs. par (65; -7) … Also owns school record for 54-hole score vs. par (206; -10) … Has finished in the top 10 in 44 percent of her collegiate events and in the top 20 in 67 percent of her outings.
3. Kaitlyn Rohrback, Senior: Coming off a tie for sixth place at the Big 12 Championship … Ranks fifth at OU in career scoring average (75.10; +3.50) … Ranks 10th at OU in par-or-better rounds (12) despite playing just two seasons … Has finished in the top 20 in 32 percent of her career collegiate events … Tied for 42nd place at the 2013 NCAA Central Regional … Transferred from Tennessee.
4. Emily Collins, Senior: Coming off an eighth-place finish at the Big 12 Championship … Ranks sixth at OU in career scoring average (75.54; +3.86) … Has finished in the top 20 in 33 percent of her career collegiate events … Tied for second place out of 166 competitors at last year’s NCAA Central Regional.
5. Anne-Catherine Tanguay, Senior: A two-time All-Big 12 performer and a 2013 third-team All-American (Golfweek) … Coming off a 12th-place finish at the Big 12 Championship … Ranks second at OU in career scoring average (74.14; +2.45) … Has finished in the top 10 in 33 percent of her career collegiate events … Tied for second place out of 166 competitors at last year’s NCAA Central Regional.
The 6,252-yard, par-72 Tumble Creek Golf Course at Suncadia Resort is the host site for the 2014 NCAA West Regional.
Teams will compete in 54 holes of stroke play over three days (18 holes each Thursday, Friday and Saturday). Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. CT Thursday with OU teeing off in 11-minute increments starting at 10:36 a.m. CT.
NCAA REGIONAL HISTORY
Last season, the Sooners hosted the NCAA Central Regional and finished in second place (857;-7) at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club in Norman. Anne-Catherine Tanguay and Emily Collins finished the tournament tied for second place out of 166 competitors, each shooting a 5-under 211. The team qualified for its seventh NCAA Championships appearance and placed ninth at nationals (third-best finish in program history).
Thursday: High of 63 degrees with a 60 percent chance of rain and S winds at 10 mph.
Friday: High of 52 degrees with a 50 percent chance of rain and W winds at 15 mph.
Saturday: High of 56 degrees with a 10 percent chance of rain and W winds at 10 mph.
Live stats will be available at GolfStat.com.