FORT WORTH, Texas— The search for a third straight Big 12 Championship fell short as the No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners fell to the No. 6 Baylor Bears, 4-3, in the Big 12 Championship finals at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
The top-seeded Bears and third-seeded Sooners met for the third straight year in the finals with Baylor topping Oklahoma with victories in doubles and at No. 2, 3 and 5 singles.
The No. 2 tandem of Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez stormed back from an early 3-0 deficit to tie their doubles match at 5-all. The pair went on to defeat Julian Lenz and Michael Dornbusch 8-6 to capture the first doubles win for Oklahoma.
However, Baylor took 8-6 victories on courts one and three to take the doubles point and the early lead going into singles.
Junior Dane Webb tied the match early with a 6-0, 6-2 victory on court four. Alcorta kept the momentum swinging in OU’s favor with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at the premier spot to put the Sooners up 2-1.
Tacking on the third straight unanswered point was Alex Ghilea on court six. The freshman took down Tony Lupieri 7-6, 6-2 to put the Sooners one point away from their third straight title.
Three Sooners were forced into third sets to decide the match. Austin Siegel dropped his match 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 to give Baylor a second point. Freshman Andrew Harris fell in his third set to allow Baylor to tie the match at three.
Alvarez and Baylor’s Patrick Pradella battled for the final point. Alvarez sneaked by with a 7-6 first set win before droppoing the second, 3-6. Down 5-4 in his third set, the OU sophomore fought for 25 minutes in the 10th game but fell 6-4 to give Baylor the match.
BAYLOR 4, OKLAHOMA 3
1. Pradella/Zsiga (BU) def. Webb/Harris (OU) 8-6
2. Alvarez/Alcorta (OU) def. Lenz/Dornbusch (BU) 8-6
3. Galeano/Lupieri (BU) def. Siributwong/ Papac (OU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Julian Lenz (BU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Patrick Pradella (BU) def. Axel Alvarez (OU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
3. Diego Galeano (BU) def. Andrew Harris (OU) 3-6, 7-6, 7-5
4. Dane Webb (OU) def. Mate Zsiga (BU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Michael Dornbusch (BU) def. Austin Siegel (OU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
6. Alex Ghilea (OU) def. Tony Lupieri (BU) 7-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6, 5, 3, 2