NORMAN, Okla. -- The 13th-ranked University of Oklahoma women’s golf team returns to the course this weekend in Austin, Texas, for the Big 12 Women’s Golf Championship. The nine-team field will play Friday-Sunday (April 25-27) at the 6,143-yard, par-72 UT Golf Club.
The Sooners are coming off a tie for 11th place at the PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, Ariz. The squad carded a three-round 893 (+29) at the event, which featured nine teams ranked in Golfweek’s top 12. Senior Anne-Catherine Tanguay led OU, recording a 215 (-1) to tie for 10th place out of 81 competitors.
Fifth-year OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell said her team is excited to get the tournament started.
“We’ve been preparing for this tournament since August,” Drouin-Luttrell said. “We knew with four seniors that a lot of things could be done, and they’ve already accomplished a lot. Obviously our goals are high and they’re all prepared. We’ve had some really good practices lately and hopefully it all pays off at the right time.”
The Sooners are the No. 1 seed and will tee off Friday at 8 a.m. with No. 2 seed Oklahoma State and No. 3 seed Iowa State.
TOURNAMENT FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS)
Oklahoma State (15)
Iowa State (24)
Texas Tech (63)
Kansas State (84)
1. Anne-Catherine Tanguay, Senior: Coming off a tie for 10th place at the PING/ASU Invitational … Ranked No. 47 in the Golfweek individual rankings … Ranked second in OU career scoring average (74.14) … Has finished in the top four in the last two Big 12 Championships.
2. Alexandra Kaui, Freshman: Coming off a tie for 20th place at the PING/ASU Invitational … Ranked No 38 in the Golfweek individual rankings … Holds the OU record for 18-hole score (7-under 65).
3. Chirapat Jao-Javanil, Senior: Coming off a tie for 40th place at the PING/ASU Invitational … Ranked No. 61 in the Golfweek individual rankings … Ranked first in OU career scoring average (73.16) … Has finished in the top five in 32 percent of her career collegiate events.
4. Emily Collins, Senior: Coming off a tie for 68th place at the PING/ASU Invitational … Ranked No. 145 in the Golfweek individual rankings … Ranked sixth at OU in career scoring average (75.61).
5. Kaitlyn Rohrback, Senior: Coming off a tie for 68th place at the PING/ASU Invitational … Ranked fifth at OU in career scoring average (75.27) … Has finished in the top 20 in 29 percent of her career collegiate events.
The 6,143-yard, par-72 UT Golf Club is the host site for the 2014 Big 12 Women’s Golf Championship.
Teams will compete in 54 holes of stroke play over three days (18 holes each Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Play will begin at 8 a.m. on Friday with the top seeds teeing off first.
BIG 12 HISTORY
The Sooners have collected two Big 12 conference titles; the most recent coming in 2012 when the team, under the direction of head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell, posted a 904 (+64) to finish seven strokes ahead of Texas. Then-sophomore Chirapat Jao-Javanil tied for second place in the event, shooting a 220 (+10). Fellow sophomore Anne-Catherine Tanguay finished in fourth place with a 222 (+12).
Friday: High of 89 degrees with E winds at 10 mph.
Saturday: High of 88 degrees with a 20 percent chance of rain and SSE winds at 15 mph.
Sunday: High of 96 degrees with a 30 percent chance of rain and SSW winds at 10 mph.
Live scoring will be available at GolfStat.com.