NORMAN, Okla.— Senior Mia Lancaster earned her 20th win of the season but would be the only victor on Sunday as the No. 18 Sooners (15-5, 5-3) fell 6-1 to No. 17 Baylor (20-6, 8-0).
Lancaster becomes the only senior on the squad to have at least 20 wins every season. She joins teammates Whitney Ritchie, Emma Devine and Morgan Chumney as the only Sooners with 20 wins for the current season.
After winning doubles for six straight matches, the Sooners dropped their second doubles point in conference play. Ritchie and Lancaster defeated Jordaan Sanford and Victoria Kisialeva 8-3 for the only doubles win Oklahoma would earn.
The Bears proved to be no match for the Sooners, as Baylor would dominate in singles, only giving up three sets the entire match.
"Unfortunately this weekend we lacked a certain level of belief we needed to beat Texas and Baylor," OU head coahc David Mullins said. "I think we learned some things and hopefully it will make us better for the next time we play these teams."
The loss drops the Sooners to fifth in the Big 12 standings. Despite the conference record, Oklahoma still has the second best overall winning percentage in the league at .750.
The Sooners return home for their final conference matchup against Oklahoma State Saturday, April 19, at 12 p.m. The match will be televised for the first time on Sooner Sports TV. Fans can catch the replay on FS Oklahoma Sunday, April 20, at 7 p.m.
BAYLOR 6 OKLAHOMA 1
1. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Sanford/Kisialeva (BU) 8-3
2. Generette/Burgic (BU) def. Devine/Chumney (OU) 8-3
3. Shankle/Clay (BU) def. Engbroks/Brhane (OU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Kiah Generette (BU) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
2. Ema Burgic (BU) def. Hermon Brhane (OU) 6-4, -1
3. Jordaan Sanford (BU) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Blair Shankle (BU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Alex Leatu (BU) def. Emma Devine (OU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Alex Clay (BU) def. Abbi Melrose (OU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 2, 4, 1