NORMAN, Okla.-- A come from behind victory for Guillermo Alcorta clinched No. 4 Oklahoma’s 4-3 nailbiter over No. 6 Baylor Friday night in Norman.
“It wasn’t a shock that Willy’s match went to three sets,” head coach John Roddick said. “Willy’s been really good in those situations overall. We have a few guys I wouldn’t mind having out there in those situations and Willy has proven over and over that he’s the guy to have out there.”
Alcorta had to fight for the duration of his match. After being down 2-4 in his first set, he came back to win 6-4. Despite dropping the second set 5-7, the senior won three straight games to top Julian Lenz in the third set, 6-3. This victory marks Alcorta’s 14th win of 2014 and is the second time he’s won for OU in the last three matches.
Junior Dane Webb also had a tough battle playing in the No. 3 spot today. After cruising through his first set 6-3, the junior battled through an extensive tiebreak, but prevailed over Diego Galeano 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).
“Dane’s only lost serve once in the last four matches,” Roddick said. “When you play the way he plays and you don’t lose serve he’s going to be really tough to beat. He’s gotten better and better and better.”
Freshman Andrew Harris earned his 14th win this year, dispatching Tony Lupieri in straight sets 6-3, 6-2.
OU won the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 2 positions and according to Roddick played a huge part in the Sooners coming out on top.
“The doubles point was huge,” Roddick said. “We knew that going in, that winning the doubles point would be the advantage. If we didn’t win the doubles point then it was going to be a tough road.”
The Sooners close out their regular season Sunday, April 11, at 1:00 p.m. when Texas Tech revisits Norman.
For more on OU men’s tennis follow @OU_MTennis.
No. 4 Oklahoma, 4 No. 6 Baylor 3
1. Patrick Pradella (BU) def. Axel Alvarez (OU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Julian Lenz (BU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. Diego Galeano (BU) 6-3, 7-6(7-5)
4. Andrew Harris (OU) def. Tony Lupieri (BU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Mate Zsiga (BU) def. Alex Ghilea (OU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Michel Dornbusch (BU) def. Austin Siegel (OU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,5,1,6,3,2*
1. Webb/Harris (OU) def. Pradella/Zsiga (BU) 8-6
2. Alcorta/Alvarez (OU) def. Galeano/Lupieri (BU) 8-4
3. Lenz/Dornbusch (BU) def. Papac/Siributwong (OU) 8-7(7-3)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1