NORMAN, Okla. -- The 13th-ranked Oklahoma men’s golf team heads to Georgia to participate in the two-day, 54-hole Linger Longer Invitational this weekend. The eighth-annual tournament will be played March 22 and 23 (Saturday and Sunday) at the par-72, 7,073-yard Great Waters Golf Club at Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Ga.
The 15-team field features seven squads ranked within the top 50 of the latest Golfweek/Sagarin poll, including the Sooners. Alabama, three-time defending champion of the event, is ranked No. 1, Georgia is No. 5, Clemson is No. 22 and Liberty is No. 39. Co-hosts Mercer and Kennesaw State are ranked 36th and 37th, respectively.
“We’ve had a great week of preparation over spring break in Georgia, and we are looking forward to competing in the Linger Longer Invitational this weekend,” OU head coach Ryan Hybl said.
The Sooners are coming off a second-place showing at the Border Olympics in Laredo, Texas, one stroke behind No. 10 Houston. Michael Gellerman and Michael Schoolcraft both finished within the top five, with Gellerman registering a career-best third-place showing, while Schoolcraft took fifth.
OU’s lineup will include Schoolcraft, juniors Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Beau Titsworth and freshman Max McGreevy. Senior Eduardo Castiello and freshman Emilio Maurer will compete as individuals.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTESES)
Kennesaw State (37)
1. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Recorded career-best finish when he tied for second place at the prestigious Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters with a three-over 219 … Posted a third-place showing at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 2-over 215 … Finished fifth at Border Olympics with a 215 (-1) ... Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
2. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Finished in a career-best third place at Border Olympics with a three-round 212 (-4) … Took a share of fifth place with a 4-over 217 at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Claimed a share of sixth place at Erin Hills Intercollegiate with a 2-under 214 … Has recorded three career top-5 finishes, seven top-10 finishes and 15 top-20 finishes.
3. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Claimed a share of 12th with a 6-under 210 at Puerto Rico Classic… Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month honors for September after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth-place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A Championship in 2012 and 2013.
4. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Finished in a career-best tie for fifth place with a 217 (+4) competing as an individual at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Placed 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational after shooting a 218 (+5) … Competed in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a freshman … Has recorded eight career top-20 finishes.
5. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Tied for sixth place, his best in a team event, at Border Olympics with an even-par 216 … Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Finished in a tie for 13th place with a 217 (+1) at Erin Hills Intercollegiate … Competed in six of OU’s 13 team tournaments as a sophomore, including last four of season … Also participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
Individual, Emilio Maurer, Freshman: Finished in a tie for 52nd at Border Olympics with a 227 (+11) while participating as an individual … Tied for 59th at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 20-over 233 as an individual … Competed as an individual at the Erin Hills Intercollegiate, placing 63rd with a three-round 232 (+16).
Individual, Eduardo Castiello, Senior: As an individual, tied for 10th with a 2-over 218 at Border Olympics … Tied for 21st at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 224 (+11) … Competed at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in the fall, carding a 5-over 218 and finishing in a tie for 49th place … Has competed in 27 events in his career, recording two top-five, four top-10 and six top-20 finishes.
The par-72, 7,073-yard Great Waters Golf Club at Reynolds Plantation serves as the course for the Linger Longer Invitational.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days, with 36 holes slated for Saturday and the final round scheduled for Sunday. OU will be paired with Clemson, Liberty and Charlotte Saturday and will tee off for the first round at 7:30 CT with a shotgun start.
Saturday: Partly cloudy with a high of 75 degrees with winds from the southwest at 5-10 mph.
Sunday: High of 65 degrees with a 60 percent chance of showers and winds from the southwest at 10-15 mph.
OU’S BORDER OLYMPICS HISTORY
Last season, the Sooners finished seventh at the weather-shortened Linger Longer Invitational with a two-round 591 (+15).
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at www.golfstatresults.com. Click here for the direct link.