NORMAN, Okla. -- The 14th-ranked Oklahoma men’s golf team is set to compete at the two-day, 54-hole Border Olympics March 14 and 15 (Friday and Saturday) in Laredo, Texas.
The 17-team field features three squads ranked within the top 50 of the latest Golfweek/Sagarin poll, including the Sooners. Host and defending tournament champion Houston is ranked No. 10, while Big 12 team Baylor is No. 26.
The Sooners are coming off a ninth-place finish at the elite Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters in Las Vegas, Nev., where they shot a three-round 904 (+40). Senior Michael Schoolcraft fired a 3-over 219 en route to a career-best tie for second place.
OU’s lineup will include Schoolcraft, juniors Michael Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Beau Titsworth and freshman Max McGreevy. Senior Eduardo Castiello and freshman Emilio Maurer will compete as individuals.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTESES)
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
UT Pan American
1. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Recorded career-best finish when he tied for second place at the prestigious Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters with a three-over 219 … Posted a third-place showing at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 2-over 215 … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a 5-over-par 218 … Has competed in 34 events as a Sooner … Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
2. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Finished in a career-best tie for fifth place with a 217 (+4) competing as an individual at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Placed a career-best 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational after shooting a 218 (+5) … Competed in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a freshman … Has recorded eight career top-20 finishes.
3. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Took a share of fifth place, a career best, with a 4-over 217 at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Claimed a share of sixth place at Erin Hills Intercollegiate with a 2-under 214 … Finished in a tie for 19th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a three-round 220 (+7) … Has competed in 24 events in his career … Has recorded one career top-5 finish, five top-10 finishes and 12 top-20 finishes.
4. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Claimed a share of 12th with a 6-under 210 at Puerto Rico Classic… Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month honors for September after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A Championship in 2012 and 2013.
5. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Tied for 21st place with an 11-over 224 at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Finished in a tie for 13th place with a 217 (+1) at Erin Hills Intercollegiate … Competed in six of OU’s 13 team tournaments as a sophomore, including last four of season … Also participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
Individual, Emilio Maurer, Freshman: Tied for 59th at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 20-over 233 … Competed as an individual at the Erin Hills Intercollegiate, placing 63rd with a three-round 232 (+16).
Individual, Eduardo Castiello, Senior: Tied for 21st at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 224 (+11) … Competed at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in the fall, carding a 5-over 218 and finishing in a tie for 49th place … Has competed in 27 events in his career, recording two top-five, four top-10 and six top-20 finishes.
The 7,125-yard, par-72 Laredo Country Club serves as the course for the Border Olympics.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days, with 36 holes slated for Friday and the final round scheduled for Saturday.
Friday: Partly cloudy with a high of 81 degrees with winds from the south, southeast at 10-15 mph.
Saturday: Partly cloudy with a high of 83 degrees with winds from the southwest at 5-10 mph.
OU’S BORDER OLYMPICS HISTORY
Last season, the Sooners finished second at the Border Olympics with a three-round 867 (+3), eight strokes behind tournament winner Houston.
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at www.golfstatresults.com. Click here for the direct link.