NORMAN, Okla. -- The 14th-ranked Oklahoma men’s golf team travels to Las Vegas, Nev., to compete in the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters, a prestigious tournament that features some of the nation’s top teams. The three-day, 54-hole event is slated for March 7-9 (Friday-Sunday).
All 15 teams in the field are ranked within the top 50 of the latest Golfweek/Sagarin poll, including the top five squads. At the tournament, the Sooners will see four Big 12 opponents in Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU and Texas Tech.
“This is the biggest tournament of the spring,” OU head coach Ryan Hybl said. “It’s the best field and the best golf course. They promote it as the Masters of college golf. The motivation level is very high for our guys, and I think they understand that our expectation is to go win.”
Hybl added that if the Sooners are clicking, they will be able to compete with some of the best teams in the country.
“I think our guys feel confident enough to know that if we play together as a unit, we can go compete with anybody," Hybl shared. "We haven’t done that since early fall where we all five were playing some really good golf. We are going to need do that this week.”
The Sooners are coming off a tie for sixth place at the competitive Puerto Rico Classic in Rio Grande, P.R., after recording a three-round 859 (-5). Freshman Max McGreevy claimed a share of 12th place with a 6-under 210.
OU’s lineup will include senior Michael Schoolcraft, juniors Michael Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Beau Titsworth and McGreevy.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTESES)
Georgia Tech (2)
Oklahoma State (3)
Texas A&M (7)
New Mexico (18)
Arizona State (29)
Texas Tech (49)
1. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Claimed a share of 12th with a 6-under 210 at Puerto Rico Classic… Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month honors for September … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A Championship in 2012 and 2013.
2. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Finished in a career-best tie for fifth place with a 217 (+4) competing as an individual at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Placed 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Competed in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a freshman … Has recorded eight career top-20 finishes.
3. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Matched his career-best finish with a third-place showing at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 2-over 215 … Posted a three-round 216 (E) at Golfweek Challenge en route to a tie for 13th place … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a 5-over-par 218 … Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
4. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Took a share of fifth place, a career best, with a 4-over 217 at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Claimed a share of sixth place at Erin Hills Intercollegiate with a 2-under 214 … Finished in a tie for 19th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a three-round 220 (+7) … Has recorded one career top-5 finish, five top-10 finishes and 12 top-20 finishes.
5. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Finished in a tie for 13th place with a 217 (+1) at Erin Hills Intercollegiate … Competed in six of OU’s 13 team tournaments as a sophomore, including last four of season … Also participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
The 7,510-yard, par-72 Southern Highlands Golf Club serves as the course for the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters.
Fifty-four holes will be played over three days, with each round scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. CT with tee times off the No. 1 and No. 10 holes. The low four scores will be counted each round for the team total.
Friday: Partly cloudy with a high of 72 degrees with winds from the north at 15-20 mph.
Saturday: Mostly sunny with a high of 73 degrees with winds from the north, northeast at 10-15 mph.
Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a high of 76 degrees with winds from the east, northeast at 5-10 mph.
OU’S SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS COLLEGIATE MASTERS HISTORY
Last season, the Sooners struggled at the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters, finishing 15th with a three-round 914 (+50) against the competitive field.
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at www.golfstatresults.com. Click here for the direct link.