NORMAN, Okla. — The No. 20 Oklahoma women’s tennis team (8-1) won their sixth straight match in a 5-2 victory over New Mexico (6-3) Friday in Albuquerque.
For the ninth consecutive match, the Sooners took the early advantage by winning the doubles point. Seniors Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster gave the Sooners an early edge with an 8-2 win at the No. 2 spot.
Sealing the doubles point was sophomore Zita Engbroks and senior Hermon Brhane with an 8-6 victory at the No. 3 spot.
The seniors of the Sooner squad claimed the first three of four singles victories. Adding to Oklahoma’s lead early was Lancaster with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Meredith Hopson at the No. 4 spot.
Following suit and winning her ninth straight singles match was Ritchie with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Michaela Bezdickova at the No. 2 spot. After falling in the first set, Brhane battled to a third set and clinched the Sooners victory with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Lizette Blankers.
Freshman Morgan Chumney added the fifth point to the Sooners total with a 7-5, 5-7, 8-6 victory over Natasha Smith at the No. 3 position.
"Today was not the prettiest win but we found a way,” head coach David Mullins said. “Some of us are really struggling in the altitude but hopefully today prepared us for an even tougher challenge tomorrow. Whit, Hermon and Mia led the charge and used their experience to tough out their points"
The Sooners will be back in action Saturday as they take on No. 49 Utah at 2 p.m.
OKLAHOMA 5, NEW MEXICO 2
1. Dulski/Smith (UNM) & Devine/Chumney (OU) -- Unfinished
2. Ritchie/Lancaster (OU) def. Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM), 8-2
3. Engbroks/Brhane (OU) def. Baklini/Hopson (UNM), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Brhane (OU) def. Blankers (UNM), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Ritchie (OU) def. Bezdickova (UNM), 7-6, 6-4
3. Chumney (OU) def. Smith (UNM), 7-5, 5-7, 8-6
4. Lancaster (OU) def. Hopson (UNM), 6-4, 6-3
5. Dulski (UNM) def. Devine (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 7-6
6. Olivier (UNM) def. Melrose (OU), 6-3, 7-6
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 5, 1, 3