NORMAN, Okla. – The 12th-ranked University of Oklahoma men’s golf team kicks off its spring season with an appearance in the two-day, 54-hole UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational, slated for Monday and Tuesday at the Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio, Texas.
The Sooners are coming of a fall slate that saw them record three top-three finishes in four tournaments, including a win in the season-opening Golfweek Conference Challenge at the Spirit Hollow Golf Course in Burlington, Iowa.
OU head coach Ryan Hybl said a solid performance at the spring’s first event could give his team momentum, just as the win in Iowa did last fall.
“Hopefully we can come out and get competitive and start working on the things that we need to start working on in order to gain some momentum in the springtime,” Hybl said. “Last year, going and winning at San Antonio propelled us through the springtime. Hopefully we can go down with the same mission and get the golf course scoped out like we want it, get prepared and get some work in and hopefully have a chance to win.”
OU’s lineup will feature seniors Michael Schoolcraft and Eduardo Castiello, juniors Michael Gellerman and Charlie Saxon and freshman Max McGreevy. Sophomore Beau Titsworth and freshman Emilio Maurer will compete as individuals.
The 15-team UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational features three teams ranked in the Golfweek top 50, including the Sooners, Big 12 opponent Baylor at No. 28 and No. 44 Southeastern Louisiana.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Southeastern Louisiana University (44)
1. Eduardo Castiello, Senior: Competed at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in the fall, carding a 5-over 218 and finishing in a tie for 49th place … Has competed in 27 events in his career, recording two top-five, four top-10 and six top-20 finishes.
2. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Claimed a share of sixth place at Erin Hills Intercollegiate with a 2-under 214 … Finished in a tie for 19th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a three-round 220 (+7) … Has competed in 24 events in his career … Has recorded one career top-5 finish, five top-10 finishes and 12 top-20 finishes.
3. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Named Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month for September after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth-place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A Championship in 2012 and 2013.
4. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Finished in a tie for 13th place with a 217 (+1) at Erin Hills Intercollegiate … Competed in six of OU’s 13 team tournaments as a sophomore, including last four of season … Also participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
5. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Posted a three-round 216 (E) at Golfweek Conference Challenge en route to a tie for 13th place … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a 5-over-par 218 … Has competed in 34 events as a Sooner … Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
Individual: Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Placed a career-best 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational after shooting a 218 (+5) … Competed in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a freshman … Has recorded eight career top-20 finishes.
Individual: Emilio Maurer, Freshman: Competed as an individual at the Erin Hills Intercollegiate, placing 63rd with a three-round 232 (+16).
The Oak Hills Country Club, a 6,765-yard, par-71 track located in San Antonio, Texas, serves as the site of the UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days. Monday features two rounds, beginning at 8 a.m. CT with a shotgun start. On Tuesday, the final 18 holes will be played, with tee times starting at 7:30 a.m. CT.
Monday: Mostly sunny with a high of 86 degrees and WSW winds at 6 mph.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy with a high of 86 degrees and SW winds at 12 mph.
OU’S UTSA/OAK HILLS INVITATIONAL HISTORY
With a three-round 862 (+10), the Sooners claimed the 2013 UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational title, edging second-place North Texas by one stroke. This marks the fifth straight year OU has started its spring schedule with an appearance in the tournament.
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at www.golfstatresults.com. Click here for the direct link.