NORMAN, Okla.-- A match-clinching tiebreaker by senior Mia Lancaster in singles play led the No. 28 Oklahoma women’s tennis team to their fourth win of the season. The Sooners topped No. 33 Memphis, 4-1, Sunday afternoon at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
“These matches can go either way,” head coach David Mullins said. “I expected doubles to come down to one court and I expected singles to be close. There’s going to be a lot of close moments in doubles and singles and I’m glad to be squeaking out these close matches and be 4-1 right now.”
In their second match of the weekend, the Sooners lead early getting the doubles point with senior Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster’s 6-1 win over Alyssa Hibbard and Caroline Wegner in the No. 1 spot.
Seniors Hermon Brhane and Whitney Wofford followed suit with a 6-4 win over Marta Morga and Skylar Kuykendall to clinch the doubles point for the Sooners.
Ritchie, now 5-0 in singles play, extended the Sooners lead with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Skylar Kuykendall at the No. 2 position. Freshman Morgan Chumney notched her fourth win of the season with a 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 win over Caroline Wegner in the No. 3 slot.
With three matches still being played, Lancaster found herself in a back-and-forth tiebreak with Alyssa Hibbard. After forcing the tiebreak to 14 points, Lancaster clinched the match for both her and the Sooners.
“I started out really well and she started making errors from early on,” Lancaster said. “She started tightening up in the second set and then we got down to the tiebreaker and I just like playing close matches like that.”
The Sooners take on No. 42 Illinois Saturday, Feb. 8 at 11 a.m. The team will celebrate Hermon Brhane day, recognizing the senior for her accomplishments.
Oklahoma 4, Memphis 1
1. Lancaster/Rtichie (OU) def. Hibbard/Wegner (UM) 6-1
2. Mikesz/Wind (UM) def. Chumney/Devine (OU) 6-3
3. Brhane/Wofford (OU) def. Morga/Kuykendall (UM) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Stefanie Mikesz (UM) def. Hermon Brhane (OU) 6-3, 0-6, 1-0
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Skylar Kuykendall (UM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Morgan Chumney def. Caroline Wegner (UM) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Alyssa Hibbard (UM)
5. Emma Devine v. Anki Wind (UM) 7-6, 5-3
6. Abbi Melrose v. Marta Morga (UM) 6-2, 4-4
Order of Finish: 2,1,3,4