NORMAN, Okla.--The No. 34 University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team (1-0) won its spring opener defeating North Texas (0-1), 7-0, Sunday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
“I was very happy, “ head coach David Mullins said. “We started really well in doubles and I think people know we’re really good in doubles this year so it was good to see us execute at the level that we did in the fall.”
Senior Hermon Brhane and sophomore Zita Engbroks clinched the first doubles match at the No. 3 position defeating Ana Sofia Cordero and Anastasiya Shestakova, 6-1.
At the No. 1 position, seniors Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster secured the doubles point defeating Kamilla Galieva and Alexis Thoma, 6-0.
In singles, junior Abbi Melrose defeated Danè Joubert 6-0, 6-0 to secure the first singles point for the Sooners at the No. 6 position.
“It’s always nice when that happens,” Mullins said. “It shows a level of focus. It’s hard to focus for 12 straight games and not let your opponent win one game.”
Freshman Morgan Chumney won her match against Agustina Valenzuela 6-2, 6-3 to earn the second singles point in the No. 3 position for Oklahoma.
“It was good to see Morgan in her first dual match look really relaxed,” Mullins said. “I don’t know if she was but she looked very relaxed and was going after shots and that’s all I wanted to see from her today.”
In the No. 4 position, senior Mia Lancaster clinched the victory for the Sooners with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Alexis Thoma.
The Sooners travel to Tuscaloosa, Ala. where they’ll meet Ole Miss, Alabama and William & Mary on Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 25-26.
Oklahoma 7, North Texas 0
1. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Thoma/Galieva (UNT), 6-0
2. Devine/Chumney (OU) def. Joubert/Valenzuela (UNT), 5-
3. Brhane/Engbroks (OU) def. Cordero/Shestakova (UNT), 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Anastasiya Shestakova (UNT), 6-4, 6-0
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. KamillaGalieva (UNT), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Morgan Chumney (OU) def. Agustina Valenzuela (UNT), 6-2, 6-3
4. Mia Lancaster(OU) def. Alexis Thoma (UNT), 6-3, 6-3
5. Emma Devine (OU) def. Ana Sofia Cordero (UNT), 6-3, 6-4
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Dane Joubert (UNT), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4*, 1, 2, 5