|No. 20 Oklahoma at Marist | Saturday, Dec. 21 | 6 p.m. CT|
|Radio|| KOKC 1520 AM/KREF 1400 AM
Brian Brinkley & Colton Coale
|Buy Tickets||OU Athletics Ticket Office | 1-800-456-4668|
|Live Stats|| GoRedFoxes.com
|Pregame Info||Game Notes (PDF)|
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- The Sooners make their second visit to the James C. McCann Recreational Center for their fifth meeting against the Marist Red Foxes.
The sold-out, hyper-charged Marist crowd was overcome in OU’s last visit when Nyeshia Stevenson drained an OU record 9 3-pointers among a career-high 32 points as the Sooners won 80-71 in overtime. Oklahoma won 68-55 last December in Norman.
Marist head coach Brian Giorgis, an avid Sooner football fan, served as an assistant to Sherri Coale on the 2013 Team USA World University Games Championship team. Giorgis’ favorite Sooner was Jimbo Elrod, whom he met in Norman when the teams played last season.
The Red Foxes are 6-4 (1-0 MAAC) and led by 6-1 sophomore forward Madeline Blais, who averages 17. 4 points and 5.0 rebounds. Blais was 10-for-15 with 25 points in Marist’s 103-66 win against Northeastern Wednesday night.
|Projected Starting Lineups|
5-10 | SR | Lowell, Ark.
6-0 | SO | Hopkins, Minn.
5-7 | SR | Las Vegas, Nev.
5-10 | SR | Millford, Conn.
5-9 | FR | Midwest City, Okla.
5-10 | SR | Syracuse, N.Y.
5-10 | JR | Spencer, Okla.
6-0 | SR | Lynbrook, N.Y.
6-6 | SR | Milwaukee, Wis.
6-1 | SO | Exeter, N.H.
• Oklahoma and Marist are meeting for the fifth time. OU has won the previous four meetings, but needed overtime to win in their only visit to Poughkeepsie.
• Sooners Sharane Campbell, Aaryn Ellenberg and Nicole Griffin are nearing career scoring benchmarks. Ellenberg, a senior, is 43 points shy of becoming Oklahoma’s seventh 2,000-point scorer. Griffin, a senior, and Campbell, a junior, are 110 and 192 points, respectively, from reaching 1,000.
• Oklahoma was voted the Big 12’s preseason favorite, earning five of 10 first-place votes by coaches. Aaryn Ellenberg was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team and is on watch lists for the Wade, Wooden and Naismith Awards.
• Oklahoma finished as the Preseason WNIT runner-up for the third straight time in four tournament appearances, falling to No. 5 Louisville 97-92 in OT.
• Senior Aaryn Ellenberg suffered a knee strain early in OU’s win over Maryland Eastern Shore (Dec. 15). Senior Morgan Hook suffered an ankle sprain late in OU’s win over Gonzaga on Nov. 17. Hook suffered a dislocated thumb (right hand) and missed the first exhibition game. Redshirt freshman Maddie Manning’s season ended a second-consecutive year with a torn ACL (left knee).
• The Sooners advanced to their 10th NCAA Regional Semifinal game, and sixth in the last eight seasons, with a 78-73 first-round win over Central Michigan and 85-72 second-round win over UCLA. OU competed in its 16th NCAA Tournament, and 14th consecutive, the nation’s seventh longest active streak and 13th longest in history. Oklahoma was a No. 6 seed for the third consecutive year. OU suffered season-ending injuries to four players, including three starters before conference play began in 2012-13. OU added two volleyball players to its roster at mid-semester. Still the Sooners advanced to their 10th Sweet 16 Appearance in program history, the ninth under Sherri Coale.