NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma men’s golf team will compete in its final fall event as it travels to Dallas, Texas, for the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate. The two-day, 54-hole tournament will begin Monday, Oct. 28, with 36 holes, followed by the final round on Tuesday, Oct. 29.
The Sooners, who are ranked No. 13 in the Golfweek/Sagarin Poll, are coming off a tie for third place at the Erin Hills Intercollegiate. OU finished first and second in its first two tournaments of the fall, the Golfweek Conference Challenge and the Jack Nicklaus Invitational.
The Royal Oaks Intercollegiate features a format of six players per team with five scores counting toward to the team total. OU’s lineup will include juniors Michael Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Beau Titsworth, freshman Max McGreevy and senior Michael Schoolcraft, who all competed in the first three tournaments, and senior Eduardo Castiello, who is participating in his first team event of the season.
OU has participated in the event each season since it began in 2008, and head coach Ryan Hybl said the experience with the course is valuable.
“We love Royal Oaks, and five of our six guys have competed here before, which is nice for the familiarity aspect,” Hybl said. “This is the type of course that we need to put ourselves in good spots off the tee because you can make a lot of birdies if you are in a good position. This is a great field, and the boys are excited to compete this week after having two weeks off.”
TOURNAMENT FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTHESIS)
Texas A&M (3)
Oklahoma State (5)
New Mexico (16)
Sam Houston State
1. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Claimed a share of sixth place at Erin Hills Intercollegiate with a 2-under 214 … Finished in a tie for 19th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a three-round 220 (+7) … Has competed in 24 events in his career … Has recorded one career top-5 finish, five top-10 finishes and 12 top-20 finishes.
2. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Finished in a tie for 13th place with a 217 (+1) at Erin Hills Intercollegiate … Competed in six of OU’s 13 team tournaments as a sophomore, including last four of season … Also participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
3. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Place a career-best 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational after shooting a 218 (+5) … Competed in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a freshman … Has recorded eight career top-20 finishes.
4. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month honors for September after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A State Championship in 2012 and 2013.
5. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Posted a three-round 216 (E) at Golfweek Challenge en route to a tie for 13th place … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a 5-over-par 218 … Has competed in 34 events as a Sooner … Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
6. Eduardo Castiello, Senior: Competing in first team event of the season at Royal Oaks Intercollegiate … Tied for 30th with a two-round 146 (+4) U.C. Ferguson Classic competing as an individual … Has participated in 26 events as a Sooner.
The 7,068-yard, par-71 Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas, Texas, is the host site for the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days. Monday features two rounds, beginning at 8:30 a.m. with a shotgun start. On Tuesday, the final 18 holes will be played, with tee times off holes No. 1 and 10 starting at 8:30 a.m.
Monday: Partly cloudy with a high of 82 degrees with a 20 percent chance of rain and SSE winds at 13 mph.
Tuesday: Cloudy with a high of 78 degrees with a 20 percent chance of rain and S winds at 15 mph.
OU’S ROYAL OAKS INTERCOLLEGIATE HISTORY
This is the sixth time the Sooners will compete at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate. Their best finish came in 2008 as they tied for second place. Last year, OU placed 11th after shooting a 7-over 859.
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at GolfStat.com.