John Jacobs Track & Field Complex
The University of Oklahoma Athletics Department completed a $3.5 million renovation of the John Jacobs Track and Field Complex in the spring of 2004. The project included a 25,000 square-foot building connecting the Mosier Indoor Practice Facility with the Everest Training Center. This new building includes track and field locker rooms, a sports medicine room and a video teaching room.
In 2006, an area of the Mosier Indoor Facility was renovated for a weightlifting room to be used exclusively by OU's track and field athletes.
Additionally, the John Jacobs Track was altered and resurfaced to create European Oval turns for a faster track and nine 48-inch lanes of embedded urethane surface. Other improvements included upgrades of field event areas, placing them directionally north/south and east/west to create the best wind conditions.
Included in the redesign of the field event areas was the addition of walkways that allow spectators to get closer to the action of all field events.
New spectator seating for 2,000 fans, new restrooms, concessions, a permanent scoreboard, sound system and the installation of championship lighting were also added to the facility.
Other additions to the complex included a sports medicine and hydrotherapy area, men's and women's locker rooms, men's and women's coaches' locker rooms and a team meeting room.
The entire complex is one of the largest, and newest, in the nation devoted specifically to cross country/track and field teams.
The 2004 upgrade marked the third major renovation of John Jacobs Field since it was originally built in the 1950s. In the late 1970s, the oval was reconfigured to change to metric measurements.
Following the 1988 outdoor season, the OU Athletics Department, in partnership with Oklahoma Centennial Sports, the local organizing committee for the 1989 U.S. Olympic Festival, began a $700,000 renovation to the facility. The facility served as the host of the Olympic Festival before hosting the 1990 and 1992 Big Eight Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
The outdoor track facility was designed by longtime Sooner track and field coach John Jacobs in the 1950s. Jacobs served as OU's track and field coach from 1922 to 1958, then continued to serve as associate head coach until his retirement in 1968. He was named to the Helms Foundation Track and Field Hall of Fame in 1957.
A proposal to name the facility after him was originally made in 1957, and in May 1962, the OU Board of Regents officially named the facility John Jacobs Field.