NORMAN, Okla. - The Oklahoma women’s team fell short, 4-3, against Nebraska in their second match of the weekend, Saturday in Lincoln, Neb.
The Sooners came into Lincoln off a 6-1 win over Iowa State.
Oklahoma fell behind early by dropping the doubles point after losing at the No. 1 and 2 spots. The lone win came at the No. 3 spot from the junior duo of Chelsea Orr and Rachael Cox, who defeated Nebraska’s Marianne Cicmanec and Ashley Finnegan, 8-5.
In singles action, Oklahoma was led with wins by Christi Baxley (No. 4), Orr (No. 5), and Anne Carter (No. 6). At the No. 5 spot, Orr took her match against Nebraska’s Cicmanec into three sets. After losing the first set, 4-6, Orr took the second 6-4. The match was then decided with a third set which Orr took 6-0.
The match then became a battle with the team score tied at three all and the No. 3 match still on the court. After dropping the first set 2-6, OU’s Irina Lykina won the second set 6-4. Lykina then took an early lead in the third set before falling to Nebraska’s Wiveva Swarting 6-4.
“It was a very tough loss,” said assistant coach Raluca Gheorghe. “We had a chance to win and we just did not finish. It was very disappointing.”
The Sooners will return to Norman and begin looking ahead to their next match which will be Wednesday April, 11, against Oklahoma State in Stillwater. This will be the 42nd Bedlam meeting. OU trails in the series 16-35.
Oklahoma 3, Nebraska 4
4-7-07 at Lincoln, Nebraska
1. Imke Reimers (NU) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Diana Kuhl (NU) def. Monica Purice (OU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Wiveca Swarting (NU) def. Irina Lykina (OU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Maria Ring (NU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Marianne Cicmanec (NU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Anne Carter (OU) def. Ashley Finnegan (NU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Reimers/ Kuhl (NU) def Baker/ Lykina (OU) 8-6
2. Ring/ Swarting (NU) def. Purice/ Baxley (OU) 9-8
3. Cox/ Orr (OU) def. Cicmanec/ Finnegan 8-5