Oct. 29, 2010
|Baylor (12-10, 5-6 Big 12) at Oklahoma (16-6, 8-3 Big 12)|
|Date||Saturday, October 30, 2010 | 2 p.m. CT|
|Location||McCasland Field House | Norman, Okla.|
|Tickets/Promos||Free Admission on Fan Appreciation Day|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma volleyball team returns home Saturday afternoon, facing the Baylor Bears in a 2 p.m. CT contest at McCasland Field House. Admission is free on fan appreciation day. Live stats are available at SoonerSports.com.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma defeated Texas Tech in straight sets on Saturday in Lubbock (-20, -13, -26).
- The Sooners rank in the top five in the Big 12 in kills (13.53, fifth), blocks (2.33, fifth) and digs (15.08, fifth).
- Oklahoma is 6-3 at home this season and 3-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-1 on the road and 5-1 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week on October 12 and again on October 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 20 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 18th in the nation with 1.35 bps.
- After missing the Iowa State match due to personal reasons, junior Caitlin Higgins has rebounded to contribute all-around.
- Higgins averaged just 1.77 kills per set in non-conference action and has rebounded to average 2.26 per set in conference play.
- Junior Brianne Barker has had three double-doubles in the last five matches. Barker is averaging 10.74 assists per set in those matches.
- Barker averages 10.18 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league. That tally ranks in the nation’s top 75.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.48 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 19 matches this year.
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has six matches with 20 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for nine service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .347 hitting percentage, connecting on 160 of her 337 attempts (43 errors).
A LOOK AT BAYLOR
- Baylor leads the nation with 19.10 digs per set. The Bears rank in the top five in the Big 12 in every statistical category.
- Ashlie Christenson (3.00), Torri Campbell (2.72) and Elizabeth Graham (2.62) all average better than 2.50 kills per set overall.
- Graham also leads the team with a league-best 1.39 blocks per set on the year.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- OU leads the all-time series with Baylor, 29-14 and has won four straight meetings, including a four-set win earlier this year in Waco.
- The Sooners are 9-1 in the last 10 matches against the Bears and 8-2 in the last 10 matches in Norman.
- Baylor’s last win in Norman was on November 7, 2001 (3-0).
- Oklahoma is 9-3 against Baylor under head coach Santiago Restrepo and 6-0 in Norman during that time.
- OU travels to Texas A&M on Wednesday for a nationally-televised match on ESPNU begining at 8 p.m. CT.
- The Sooners continue road play at No. 10 Texas next weekend. Saturday’s match is at 4 p.m. CT.