NORMAN, Oklahoma The OU men’s tennis team defeated Southern Illinois 7-0 in their first home match of the season Friday, Feb. 2 in Oklahoma City.
Oklahoma squared off against the Salukis for the first time since 1996, sweeping Southern Illinois in both singles and doubles play.
“I thought everyone competed hard and that is an ingredient you need to have,” OU Head Coach Paul Lockwood said. “All of the six singles players really competed hard for us.”
In doubles competition, Junior Federico Chavarria teamed up with newcomer Rob McKenzie at the No. 1 spot.
“We had never played together before and I was wondering how it was going to be,” Chavarria said. “There are people you click with and there are people you don’t. We clicked very well.”
Chavarria and McKenzie dropped an easy 8-0 decision on the Saluki tandem of Sergio Sanchez and Felipe Villasenor.
Other duos competing in doubles were freshmen Andrei Daescu and Vaclav Kucera at the No. 2 spot and junior Sergey Avdeyev and senior Marek Velicka teaming up at No.3.
Daescu and Kucera defeated Saluki the tandem of Felipe Villasenor and Lucas Waked 8-3. Avdeyev and Velicka played Rodrigo Lama and Karl Nilsson and came out with the win, 8-4.
Kucera, Daescu, Velicka, McKenzie and Chavarria all competed in singles competition for the Sooners, winning in two easy sets. The most interesting match of the evening was between Avdeyev and Felipe Villasenor. The two split sets and decided the match with a super tie-breaker.
“I was proud of how Sergey fought back and didn’t give up. He got better as the match went on and that is a good quality to have.” Lockwood said.
The Sooners will embark on a two game road trip traveling to Arkansas and Illinois. They return to Norman Tuesday, Feb. 27 to face Cameron University at 1 p.m.
Oklahoma 7, Southern Illinois 0
Friday, Feb. 2, 2007 Greens Country Club (Oklahoma City)
1. Vaclav Kucera (OU) def. Sergio Sanchez (SIU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Rodrigo Lama (SIU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Milos Stankovic (SIU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Rob McKenzie (OU) def. Lucas Waked (SIU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) def. Felipe Villasenor (SIU), 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Nick Bauer (SIU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Chavarria/McKenzie (OU) def. Sanchez/Villasenor (SIU), 8-0
2. Daescu/Kucera (OU) def. Stankovic/Waked (SIU), 8-3
3. Avdeyev/Velicka (OU) def. Lama/Nilsson (SIU), 8-4