Feb. 12, 2010
NORMAN, Okla. – The 45th-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis team (3-1) shut out No. 50 Arkansas Friday, 7-0, inside the Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion.
“We played a tough Arkansas team,” said head coach John Roddick. “We have lost to them the last two years and to go out and beat them 7-0 and have every guy at every position take care of business in straight-sets is encouraging.”
The Sooners began the match taking the early 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point.
OU’s senior duo, Andrei Daescu and Blake Boswell, were the first to secure a win in doubles action. They handily defeated the Razorback’s Matt Hogan and Matt Walters, 8-1.
Freshman Lawrence Formentera teamed with junior Ionut Beleleu to secure the doubles point for Oklahoma after handing Arkansas’ Nikolas Zogaj and Bradwin Williams an 8-4 loss.
Singles action proved to be much of the same for the Sooners, as the Razorbacks had no answer for OU’s lethal scoring arsenal.
Junior David Pultr began the onslaught for the Sooners as he defeated UA’s Gregoire Lehmann, 6-2, 6-4, at the No. 4 position. Sophomore George Chanturia, who defeated Arkansas’ Mike Ward at the No. 6 position, 6-3, 6-2, was the second OU player to secure a point.
Daescu (No. 10 nationally) clinched the match for the Sooners after he cruised to victory over the Razorback’s Chris Nott (No. 81), 6-0, 6-2.
Paval continued the winning trend for the Sooners at the No. 2 position. He defeated the Hog’s Dmitry Lebedev, 6-3, 6-3.
The final two Sooners to secure the shutout for OU were Formentera and Beleleu. Formentera easily won his first set, 6-3, but struggled to take the second set 7-6.
Beleleu (No. 59) finished the sweep by defeating UA’s Matt Hogan, 7-6, 7-5.
“I’m excited that the guys went out and took care of business like we train to,” said Roddick.
Next up, the Sooners take on No. 19 Alabama on Friday, Feb. 19, at 6 p.m.
No. 45 Oklahoma 7, No. 50 Arkansas 0
1. #10 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. #81 Chris Nott (UA), 6-0, 6-2
2. #69 Costin Paval (OU) def. Dmitry Lebedev (UA), 6-3, 6-3
3. #59 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Matt Hogan (UA), 7-6(6), 7-5
4. David Pultr (OU) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA), 6-2, 6-4
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Nikolas Zogaj (UA), 6-3, 7-6(3)
6. George Chanturia (OU) def. Mike Ward (UA), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1*, 2, 5, 3
1. Nott/Lebedev (UA) def. Pultr/Paval (OU), 8-7(5)
2. Daescu/Blake Boswell (OU) def. Hogan/Walters (UA), 8-1
3. Formentera/Beleleu (OU) def. Zogaj/Williams (UA), 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1