Jan. 29, 2011
URBANA, Ill. – The 17th-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis squad rebounded with a convincing 6-1 victory over No. 39 Denver in the Sooners second matchup of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Saturday, hosted by the University of Illinois.
Oklahoma (2-1) won five-of-six singles matches and claimed the doubles point to earn its second win of the year after dropping its first on Friday to No. 36 Notre Dame.
“We played a much more solid match today against a good top-40 Denver team,” John Roddick said. “Our doubles was good again today and we played much more aggressively in singles than we did yesterday.”
Roddick’s squad struck early after taking the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles position and the early 1-0 lead. At the No. 1 spot OU’s Ionut Beleleu and Costin Paval, ranked No. 26, routed Denver’s Andrew Landwelen and Jens Vorkefeld, 8-1.
Lawrence Formentera and John Warden, the nation’s 38th-ranked tandem, took care of business at the No. 2 position. The OU duo defeated DU’s Fabio Biasion and Enej Bonin, 8-6.
OU took the first three singles matches, starting with Paval at the No. 2 spot, to clinch the match. Paval, ranked 57th- nationally, shut out Denver’s Vorkefeld in the first set before taking the second set with ease, 6-1.
Formentera, a sophomore, re-entered the lineup at the No. 6 spot where he was the next Sooner to claim a straight-set win over Denver’s Jonathan Kidane, 6-3, 6-2.
Peerakit Siributwong, No. 70, clinched the win for OU after defeating DU’s Andrew Landwelen in straight-sets at the No. 4 spot.
Oklahoma’s newest addition, Laurentiu Gavrila, earned his first collegiate victory after he downed DU’s Yannick Weihs, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0.
The biggest win of the day came at the No. 1 position where The Sooners 26th-ranked Beleleu defeated Denver’s No. 25-ranked Enej Bonin. Beleleu dropped the first set, 6-7(4), but came back to take the second set 6-3. Beleleu dominated the final set, 1-0(1).
“This weekend showed us that we have a long way to go from a work standpoint, and with such a young team that is a good thing,” Roddick said.
The Sooners return to action on Friday, Feb. 11 when they travel to Kentucky to take on Louisville.
No. 17 Oklahoma 6, No. 39 Denver 1
1. #26 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. #25 Enej Bonin (DU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-1)
2. #57 Costin Paval (OU) def. Jens Vorkefeld (DU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) def. Yannick Weihs (DU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
4. #70 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Andrew Landwelen (DU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Fabio Biasion (DU) def. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 1-0 (10-6)
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Jonathan Kidane (DU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 5, 3, 1
1. #24 Ionut Beleleu/Costin Paval (OU) def. Andrew Landwelen/Jens Vorkefeld (DU) 8-1
2. #38 Lawrence Formentera/John Warden (OU) def. Fabio Biasion/Enej Bonin (DU) 8-6
3. Yannick Weihs/Jonathan Kidane (DU) def. Tsvetan Mihov/Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2