NORMAN, Okla. The University of Oklahoma men's and women's tennis teams took to the courts Friday as one of several top collegiate programs opening their fall seasons at the prestigious Polo Tennis National Collegiate Preview at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa, Okla.
The Sooner men saw a little bit tougher competiion as all three singles opponents in Flight A were ranked among the top-21 players in the nation. However, OU was able to pick up two singles wins and one doubles victory Friday. OU's junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) was forced to play three-sets before claiming a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Rice's Rodrigo Gabriel. Sophomore Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) overcame Rice's Takehiko Morita, 6-4, 6-4. In doubles action, junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) teamed up with sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) for an 8-5 win over Dustin Taylor and Alejandro Tejerina of Tulsa.
Competing strong for the Sooners were junior Fukala Ondrej who took No. 14 Robert Searle of Rice to three sets before losing, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, and Tommy Garrison who also dropped a three-set match to Rice's 18th-ranked Richard Barker, 1-6, 6-1, 7-6.
The Sooner women picked up three singles victories plus two doubles wins to conclude opening round action Friday. Junior Jessica Braver (Edmond, Okla.) came from behind to defeat Illinois State's Katri Miller, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 in Flight A, while freshmen Amanda Pratzel (St. Louis, Mo.) and Anne Carter (Edmond, Okla.) were first-round winners in Flight B. Pratzel cruised to an easy 6-1, 6-3 win over Emilie Sechaud of Illinois State. Carter dropped the first set, 5-7, to ISU's Ashley Maxwell before dominating the next two sets, 6-1, 6-0, for the match.
In doubles action, Daniela Muscolino and Ilona Somers of Tulsa defeated OU's Braver and Irina Lykina, 8-3. The Sooners swept the Golden Hurricane in the next two doubles matches. OU's Bethany Griffin and Pratzel defeated Kindsay Grimes and Donata Majauskaite, 8-2. Joi-Lee Beachler and Carter walked away with an 8-4 victory over TU's Timberly Greenly and Lisette Pereira.
Saturday's singles action is set to get underway at 9 a.m. followed by the doubles at 4 p.m. For live results visit www.tulsahurricane.ocsn.com.
- 2003 Polo Tennis National Collegiate Preview
- Michael D. Case Ttennis Center * Tulsa, Okla.
- Men's Singles
- Flight A
- #21 William Barker (Rice) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 6-2, 6-0
- #14 Robert Searle (Rice) def. Ondrej Fukala (OU), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
- #18 Richard Barker (Rice) def. Tommy Garrison (OU), 1-6, 6-1, 7-6
- Flight B
- Jason Mok (Rice) def. Matt Long (OU), 7-6, 5-7, 7-6
- Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Rodrigo Gabriel (Rice), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Lee Gregg (OU) def. Takehiko Morita (Rice), 6-4, 6-4
- Men's Doubles
- Alexei Ivanov/Matt Long (OU) def. Dustin Taylor/Alejandro Tejerina (Tulsa), 8-5
- Aleksander Charpantidis/Tom Murray (Tulsa) def. Ondrej Fukala/Tommy Garrison (OU), 8-6
Anne Carter (OU) def. Ashley Maxwell (Illinois State), 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
Griffin/Pratzel (OU) def. Kindsay Grimes/Donata Majauskaite (Tulsa), 8-2
Beachler/Carter (OU) def. Timberly Greenly/Lisette Pereira (Tulsa), 8-4