May 11, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. - The No. 14 Oklahoma men's tennis team is moving on to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament after defeating North Carolina State 4-0 on Saturday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
With the win, the Sooners advance to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2010 and will face No.3-seed Georgia on Thursday, May 16, at 9 a.m. CT in Urbana, Ill.
"I think we played very well today, as evidenced by the scores," said OU head coach John Roddick. "It was a big turnaround from the way we played yesterday and if we keep playing like that moving forward we'll give ourselves a chance in every match we play. Hopefully the guys understand that and take that determination and intensity into Thursday."
An ace on Court 2 finished off a quick set for OU doubles pair Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas who defeated their Wolfpack counterparts, 8-1. Costin Paval and Dane Webb sealed the doubles point for OU shortly after with an 8-3 victory on Court 1.
Oklahoma won five of six first sets to jump out in front quickly in singles. Alvarez Llamas was the first Sooner to tack on another point, taking a 6-2, 6-1 decision over North Carolina State's Dave Thomson on Court 3.
Oklahoma's Guillermo Alcorta came back down big to the Wolfpack's Austin Powell in the first set but turned the tide quickly, reeling off four-straight games to take the first set, 6-4. Alcorta kept the streak going into the second set, going ahead 4-0 before winning 6-1 on Court 2.
The OU sweep was assured a few minutes later on Court 4 after Dane Webb shut out Beck Bond in the second set to advance the Sooners with a score of 6-4, 6-0.
For tickets to the NCAA Championships in Urbana, Ill., click here. Fans can follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 4, North Carolina State 0
1. Paval/Webb (OU) def. Weber/Thomson (NCSU), 8-3
2. Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Mudge/Weigel (NCSU), 8-1
3. Formentera/Papac (OU) vs. Powell/Bond (NCSU), 6-5, DNF
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. Costin Paval (OU) vs. Robbie Mudge (NCSU), 6-2, 4-3 DNF
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Austin Powell (NCSU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Dave Thomson (NCSU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Dane Webb (OU) def. Beck Bond (NCSU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) vs. Sean Weber (NCSU), 6-4, 4-5 DNF
6. Nick Papac (OU) vs. Simon Norenius (NCSU), 4-6, 6-1 DNF
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4