NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 32 Oklahoma men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 27 Tulsa 5-2, Tuesday at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center.
In doubles competition Tulsa clinched the point for an early lead. At the No. 3 slot, OU's tandem of senior Marek Velicka and junior Ryan Thomas beat Tulsa’s Andy Connelly and Lucques Maasdorp, 8-6. Junior Federico Chavarria and sophomore Rob McKenzie fell to Tulsa’s Arnau Bruques and Federico Soriano at the No. 2 slot.
The doubles point was decided by a close match at the No. 1 slot. Freshmen Andrei Daescu and Vaclav Kucera dropped the match, 7-9, to the Golden Hurricane’s Diego Camacho and Ross Cunningham.
In singles play, the Sooners were successful in two of six singles matches. At the No. 2 slot, Velicka faced Tulsa’s Ricardo Soriano, defeating him in two sets, 6-4, 6-2. Chavarria squared off against Ross Cunningham at the No. 5 slot. Chavarria picked up the first set 6-4, but dropped the second set 4-6. Chavarria grabbed the win with a 6-4 victory in the third set.
Oklahoma is 16-4 on the season and 0-1 in Big12 play. OU is currently ranked 32nd in the latest ITA Poll and boast two ranked players, No. 58 Kucera and No. 103 Andrei Daescu.
The Sooners will return to action when they host the Bedlam on Tuesday, April 10. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will square off at 6 p.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center. Live scoring of the match will be available on SoonerSports.com.
1. Arnau Bruques (TU) def. Vaclav Kucera (OU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Ricardo Soriano (TU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Will Gray (TU) def. Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Federico Soriano (TU) def. Rob McKenzie (OU), 6-2, 7-6
5. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Ross Cunningham (TU), 6-4,4-6, 6-4
6. Diego Camacho (TU) def. Ryan Thomas (OU), 7-5, 6-2
1. Camacho/Cunningham def. Daescu/Kucera, 9-7
2. Bruques/F. Soriano def. Chavarria/McKenzie, 8-6
3. Thomas/Velicka def. Connelly/Maasdorp, 8-6