Feb. 27, 2011
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The 22nd-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team ended the 2011 Blue Gray Tournament by shutting out No. 43 Ohio State, 4-0, in the consolation bracket.
“This was a very productive weekend for us,” OU Head Coach David Mullins said. “Today we came out ready to take care of business and got off the court pretty quickly.”
Oklahoma (7-2) won the doubles point against the Buckeyes, as the Sooners gave up only three games in their two wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.
“We looked like a top 25 team from Friday through Sunday and I could not be happier with the toughness of this team,” Mullins said.
Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu, ranked No. 56 nationally in doubles, defeated Paloma Escobedo and Cami Hubbs of Ohio State at the No. 1 spot, 8-3.
Mia Lancaster and Whitney Ritchie shut out Ohio State’s Kelsey Haviland and Gabby Steele at the No. 2 spot, 8-0.
OU quickly won three points in singles to clinch the win over the Buckeyes. The Sooners won in straight sets at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 positions.
Constantinescu topped Escobedo at No. 1, 6-1, 6-2, Radu defeated Haviland in the two-spot, 6-2, 6-1, while Marie-Pier Huet gave up just one game at the No. 4 spot to beat Steele, 6-0, 6-1.
No. 22 Oklahoma 4, No. 43 Ohio State 0
1. No. 56 Constantinescu/Radu (OU) def. Excobedo/Hubbs (OSU), 8-3
2. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Haviland/Steele (OSU), 8-0
3. Eckel/Huet (OU) vs. Cecil/Malley (OSU) – DNF
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alice Radu (OU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Whitney Ritchie (OU) vs. Gabby Steele (OSU) – DNF
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) vs. Cami Hubbs (OSU) – DNF
6. Mia Lancaster (OU) vs. Noelle Malley (OSU) - DNF