March 18, 2011
LINCOLN, Neb. - The 19th-ranked Oklahoma women's tennis defeated its seventh nationally-ranked opponent Friday, defeating No. 29 Nebraska, 6-1, on the road.
"I thought we competed really well today," OU Head Coach David Mullins said. "I am very proud of this team today."
Oklahoma (10-2, 2-0 Big 12) snapped the Huskers' 11-match win streak with the win, to remain unbeaten in conference play.
"We did not play our best tennis," Mullins added. "But to win 6-1 against a quality team means we are staying very true to the principles we established at the beginning of the year."
The Sooners started with the 1-0 lead after winning their 10th doubles point of the season against Nebraska.
Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu defeated Nebraska's Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein, ranked No. 71 in the nation in doubles, at the No. 1 position, 8-7(11).
OU freshmen Mia Lancaster and Whitney Ritchie remain undefeated in doubles play, winning their fourth-straight match against Nebraska's Jennifer Holmberg and Janine Weinreich, 8-3, at the No. 2 spot.
Tara Eckel and Marie-Pier Huet added OU's third win in doubles on the day, defeating Patricia Veresova and Maike Zeppernick of Nebraska, 8-3, at the No. 3 position.
The Sooners gave up just one point in singles while winning three of their five singles points in straight-sets.
Huet defeated Nebraska's Weinreich at the No. 4 spot, 6-3, 6-4, Mia Lancaster topped Nebraska's Jennifer Holmberg at the No. 5 spot, 6-3, 6-1, while Kalashnikova beat Zeppernick at the No. 6 position, 6-2, 6-3.
Constantinescu and Ritchie both won in super tiebreakers at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Constantinescu, ranked No. 95, defeated Geibert of Nebraska, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8), while Ritchie defeated Weinstein, 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9).
OU plays its second match of the weekend on Saturday, March 19 at 2 p.m., in Ames, Iowa, as the Sooners face Iowa State at the Ames Racquet and Fitness Center.
No. 19 Oklahoma 6, No. 29 Nebraska 1
1. Constantinescu/Radu (OU) def. Geibert/Weinstein (NU), 8-7 (11)
2. M. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Holmberg/Weinreich (NU), 8-3
3. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Veresova/Zeppernick (NU), 8-3
1. No. 95 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Alice Radu (OU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9)
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU), 6-2, 6-3