Feb. 11, 2011
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The 24th-ranked Oklahoma men's tennis team fell to No. 13 Louisville, 4-3, inside the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center on the Cardinals' campus Friday evening.
"We lost a hard-fought match tonight in Louisville," John Roddick said. "Our guys battled hard in an extremely tough environment. We did some things better which is encouraging, but Louisville played very well and deserved the win. We will keep trying to improve."
The Sooners fell short of the doubles point after dropping highly-contested contests at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. OU's Ionut Beleleu and Costin Paval, ranked No. 24, were edged out by Louisville's Austen Childs and Viktor Maksimcuk, 9-7, at the No. 1 spot. John Warden and Lawrence Formentera lost, 8-5, to UL's Simon Childs and Andrew Carter at the No. 2 position.
Oklahoma did manage a win at the No. 3 spot where Peerakit Siributwong and Tsvetan Mihov teamed up to defeat UL's Alejandro Calligari and Hall, 9-8.
In singles action, the Sooners fell behind 3-0 after dropping matches at the No. 1 and No. 6 spots.
Laurentiu Gavrila earned the Sooners' first point after he defeated the Cardinals' 98th-ranked Simon Childs in straight-sets at the No. 3 spot.
Louisville clinched the match at the No. 5 position after Oklahoma's Formentera dropped the final two sets to UL's Andrew Carter.
At the No. 2 spot Paval, ranked No. 57, earned a win over UL's 75th-ranked Maksimcuk. Despite dropping the first set, 6-3, the Romanian native rallied to take the final two sets, 7-5, 6-3.
Siributwong won the final point of the night for OU after he too rallied from a, 6-3, first set loss. The nation's 70th-ranked player took the match by posting identical final sets, 6-4.
The Sooners continue road play at No. 45 Indiana on Sunday, Feb. 13 at 11 a.m.
Louisville 4, Oklahoma 3
1. Austen Childs (UL) def. Ionut Beleleu (OU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Costin Paval (OU def. Viktor Maksimcuk (UL), 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) def. Simon Childs (UL), 6-4, 7-6
4. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Alejandro Calligari (UL), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Andrew Carter (UL) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. Dante Terenzio (UL) def. Tsvetan Mihov (OU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 6, 3, 5*, 2, 4
1. A. Childs/Maksimcuk (UL) def. Beleleu/Paval (OU), 9-7
2. S. Childs/ Andrew Carter (UL) def. Warden/Formentera (OU), 8-5
3. Siributwong/ Mihov (OU) def. Calligari/Hall (UL), 9-8
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3