NORMAN, Okla. The Oklahoma men’s tennis team upset host and 20th-ranked Arkansas, 6-1, Tuesday at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark.
The victory marked OU’s first win over the Razorbacks under head coach Paul Lockwood and gave the Sooners their second victory over a higher ranked opponent. OU improved its record to a flawless 6-0 while the Razorbacks fell to 2-1.
Oklahoma picked up the first point of the match by winning two of the three. Senior Ondrej Fukala and junior Tommy Garrison proved too much for the 27th ranked duo of Imraan Ismail and Matt Roberts at the No. 1 doubles, defeating the pair 9-8. The duo improved to 3-0 on the season. Junior Alexei Ivanov and freshmen Ryan Thomas defeated Talley Parker and Andrei Nicoara, 8-1, at the No. 3 doubles position. The pair improved to 4-1 on the season.
The Sooners dominated singles play, defeating several ranked opponents along the way. Sophomore Marek Velicka, currently the top-ranked player in the Central Region and nationally recognized at No. 43, defeated UA’s Adrians Zguns, 6-4, 6-3. Zguns is currently ranked 56th nationally.
Ivanov toppled 77th ranked Rohan Gajjar, 6-3, 6-4, earning him a 6-0 overall singles record on the season. Fukala defeated No. 121 Matt Roberts in the only three-set match of the night, 7-5, 6-3, 10-8. Fukala improves to 4-0 on the season.
After moving up 3 spots in the latest ITA rankings, the Sooners are set to participate in the UNLV invitation next weekend.
The Sooners will face UNLV in the UNLV invitational in Las Vegas, Nev. Oklahoma takes on UNLV Friday, Feb. 18. The Sooners look to win back-to-back titles after defeating Texas-Arlington to claim the crown last season.
No. 50 Oklahoma 6, No. 20 Arkansas 1
Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2005
Dills Indoor Tennis Center
1. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Adrians Zguns (UA), 6-4,6-3
2. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Rohan Gajjar (UA), 6-3,6-4
3. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Matt Roberts (UA), 7-5,6-3,10-8
4. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Matt Simpson (UA), 6-1,6-3
5. Imraan Ismail (UA) def. Tommy Garrison (OU), 7-6,6-3
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Talley Parker (UA), 6-4, 7-5
1. Garrison/Fukala (OU) def. Imraan Ismail/Roberts (UA), 9-8
2. Zguns/Gajjar (UA) def. Velicka/Tanasoiu (OU), 8-4
3. Ivanov/Thomas (OU) def. Parker/ Andrei Nicoara (UA), 8-1