FRESNO, Calif. The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team dropped a 5-1 decision to Arizona in the first of two weekend road matches in Fresno, Calif. The No. 62 Sooners fall to a 2-2 record, while the No. 46 Wildcats remain undefeated at 9-0.
Due to heavy rains, the teams did not play any doubles matches. In singles, Arizona took wins in straight sets at all positions except No. 3. Sophomore Gabby Baker was defeated by Stephanie Balzert at the No. 1 spot, 6-1, 6-3. Junior Irina Lykina also fell, 6-2, 6-2, to Danielle Steinberg at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Christi Baxley lost to Kasia Jakowlew, 6-1, 7-5, at the No. 4 position, while sophomore Chelsea Orr and freshman Brittany Baldy dropped their matches to Tina Razloznik and Caemilia Todorova, respectively.
The Sooners only point came from junior Monica Purice, who played at the No. 3 slot. Purice defeated Juliette Mavroleon by default, 5-7, 1-0, def. She improves to 2-2 in spring matches and 4-4 overall.
Oklahoma returns to the courts Sunday morning at 11 a.m. to face No. 44 Fresno State.
1. Stephanie Balzert (UA) def. No. 73 Gabby Baker (OU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. Irina Lykina (OU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Juliette Mavroleon (UA) 5-7, 1-0 (default)
4. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Tina Razloznik (UA) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 7-6, 6-0
6. Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Brittany Baldy (OU) 6-1, 6-2