NORMAN, Okla. -- The Oklahoma men’s tennis team (18-5, 2-5) held the lead in the beginning stage of the match, however the Colorado Buffaloes (9-13, 2-4) rallied to take the match over OU 4-3, Saturday afternoon in men’s tennis play at the South Boulder Tennis Courts.
In doubles, OU started the match on fire, sweeping the Buffs at two of three doubles positions. Oklahoma’s pair of senior Ondrej Fukala and junior Tommy Garrison claimed their sixth straight win at No. 1 doubles, with an 8-4 victory over Colorado’s Marcos Dibliodo and Chad Tsuda.
The duo now own a record of 15-3. At the No. 2 spot, Sophomore Marek Velicka and Silviu Tanasoiu fought hard to defeat Marko Bundalo and Peter Bjork, 9-8 (4).
With OU leading 1-0 after winning the doubles point, the home team fought hard with four singles wins at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 spots.
Garrison expanded his winning streak to 16 consecutive matches by defeating CU’s Marcos Digliodo at the No. 4 spot. Garrison is also undefeated in Big 12 play.
Junior Lee Gregg beat Chad Tsuda, 6-4, 7-6 (3) at the No. 6 position, while Colorado clinched the match with an exhilerating match at the No. 2 spot. The Buff’s Marko Bundalo rallied from losing the first set 2-6, to win the next two sets 6-4 and 7-6(5) to defeat Fukala, giving the senior his second loss of the season.
The Sooners now prepare for the Big 12 Championships that begin on Friday, April 29-Sunday, May1 in Austin, Texas. The time and opponent is yet to be decided.
Colorado 4, Oklahoma 3
April 23, 2005
South Boulder Tennis Courts
1) Jan Zelezny (CU) def. (52) Marek Velicka 6-4, 6-2
2) Marko Bundalo (CU) def. Ondrej Fukala 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(5)
3) Peter Bjork (CU) def. (96) Alexei Ivanov 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4) Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Marcos Digliodo 6-2, 6-4
5) Marek Dvorak (CU) def. Silviu Tanasoiu 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-4
6) Lee Gregg (OU) def. Chad Tsuda 6-4, 7-6(3)
1) Garrison/Fukala (OU) def. Digliodo/Tsuda 8-4
2) Velicka/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Bundalo/Bjork 9-8(4)
3) Dvorak/Zelezny (OU) def. Ivanov/Thomas 8-4