NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 53 University of Oklahoma men’s tennis team defeated regional opponent Oral Roberts, 6-1, for the eighth consecutive season on Friday, at the Tulsa Southern Hills Racquet Club. The win bumps OU to a perfect 3-0 record and leaves ORU with a 2-4 record.
In doubles action, sophomore Marek Velicka and senior Silviu Tanasoiu remained undefeated with an 8-2 win over ORU’s Clemmons Geercken and Cuan Farquharson. The OU duo has a 2-0 record on the young season. Junior Alexei Ivanov and freshman newcomer Ryan Thomas also knocked off ORU’s Dunne and Swan, 8-3, at the No. 3 spot.
In singles play, Velicka, the ITA Region V Singles Champion, posted his first win of the spring season at No. 1 singles against ORU’s Tyronne Hill, 6-1, 6-3. Junior Alexei Ivanov, senior Silviu Tanasoiu and junior Lee Gregg shut out their opponents with straight set victories at the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 spots in singles action. Ivanov dominated Wessel Kemp 6-1, 6-2. Tanasoiu defeated Geercken 6-2, 6-3. Gregg swept ORU’s Adam Ehrlich (ORU) 6-3, 6-0, for his second win at No. 6 singles.
The only tough win of the night was Thomas defeating ORU’s Dunne in a three-set match. Dunne topped Thomas in the first set at 4-6, but Thomas fought back in the second set, edging Dunne, 6-4. The final set was a hard fought victory for the Sooners, with Thomas winning the set, 10-8.
The Sooners will compete in a double header on Sunday, Feb. 6 in Edmond, Okla., inside the Oak Tree Country Club. OU will square off against Bradley (1-1) at 9 a.m., followed by a 3:30 p.m. match against Cameron. Weather permitting, the Sooners will play Cameron in Norman at the Headington Family Tennis Center. Admission to Sunday’s matches are free.
Oklahoma 6 def. Oral Roberts 1
Friday, February 4, 2005
Tulsa Southern Tennis Club
1. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Tyronne Hill (ORU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Wessel Kemp (ORU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Clemons Geercken (ORU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ryan Thomas (OU) def. Craig Dunne (ORU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Cuan Farquharson (ORU) def. Tommy Garrison (OU) injury default
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Adam Ehrlich (ORU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Kemp/Ehrlich (ORU) def. Garrison/Chavarria (OU) 9-7
2. Velicka/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Geercken/Farquharson (ORU) 8-2
3. Ivanov/Thomas (OU) def. Dunne/Swan (ORU) 8-3