Feb. 21, 2009
University Park, Pa.--The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team lost to the Purdue Boilermakers Saturday on the road, 6-1.
The Boilermakers claimed the doubles point after OU dropped two doubles matches. Sophomore Tara Eckel and freshman Marie-Pier Huet got their second doubles win as a pair, defeating Purdue's Jennifer Rabot and Remi Martin, 8-7.
"The team bounced back well after our late night win against Penn State," OU head coach David Mullins said. "We just got out played today by a talented Purdue team."
In singles action, sophomore standout Ana-Maria Constantinescu continued her success at the No. 1 singles position. Constantinescu, ranked No. 6 in the Central Region, defeated Michelle Sammons of Purdue, 6-2, 6-2. Following Saturday's match Constantinescu remains undefeated in singles play.
The Sooners open Big 12 play next weekend against Missouri in Columbia, Mo., on Sunday, March 1. OU will also play Wisconsin while in Columbia on Saturday, Feb. 28.
Purdue 6, Oklahoma 1
1. Wooten/Sammons def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova, 8-5
2. Eckel/Huet def. Rabot/Martin, 8-7
3. Ghanza/Dushkinya def. Radan/Lancaster, 8-4
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu def. Michelle Sammons, 6-2, 6-2
2. Stephanie Wooten def. Maria Kalashnikova, 6-3, 6-3
3. Tatiana Ganzha def. Kristina Radan, 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
4. Jennifer Rabot def. Peta Maree Lancaster, 6-2, 6-1
5. Remi Martin def. Tara Eckel, 6-1, 6-3
6. Anna Dushkinya def. Marie-Pier Huet, 6-4, 4-6, 10-6