Nov. 2, 2010
|Oklahoma (17-6, 9-3 Big 12) at Texas A&M (11-11, 5-7 Big 12)|
|Date||Wednesday, November 2, 2010 | 8 p.m. CT|
|Location||Reed Arena | College Station, Texas|
|Tickets||Available: $9 reserved | $7 general amission | $4 youth|
|Television||ESPNU | Sam Gore and Elizabeth Moreau|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma volleyball team travels to College Station, Texas for a nationally televised contest against Texas A&M Wednesday evening. The match airs on ESPNU at 8 p.m. CT with Sam Gore and Elizabeth Moreau calling the action.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma rallied from a 2-1 deficit to defeat Baylor in five sets Saturday (25-18, 16-25, 18-25, 25-19, 15-8) at McCasland Field House.
- The Sooners were 7-1 during the month of October. OU's only loss was to No. 11 Texas (3-1).
- Oklahoma is 7-3 at home this season and 4-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-1 on the road and 5-1 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU's losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week on Monday. She previously earned the honor October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 20 in the nation in blocks per set. She's third in the Big 12 and 17th in the nation with 1.33 bps.
- McLaurin's average is the second-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year. She ranks behind Long Beach State's Haleigh Hampton (1.54).
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for block solos (23) and blocks per set average (1.33).
- She has 57 blocks in Big 12 play (15 BS/42 BA). The last freshman to have more was Iowa State's Kaylee Manns in 2006 (4 BS/54 BA/ 58 TB).
- In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 15 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- After missing the Iowa State match due to personal reasons, junior Caitlin Higgins has rebounded to contribute all-around.
- Higgins averaged just 1.77 kills per set in non-conference action and has rebounded to average 2.22 per set in conference play.
- Junior Brianne Barker has had three double-doubles in the last five matches. Barker is averaging 10.30 assists per set in those matches.
- Barker averages 10.19 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league and 81st in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.47 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 20 matches this year.
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has seven matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 13 service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .345 hitting percentage, connecting on 163 of her 348 attempts (43 errors).
A LOOK AT TEXAS A&M
- The Aggies have won two straight since their last match with Oklahoma on Oct. 20 (Colorado and Texas Tech).
- Prior to that, Texas A&M had dropped six straight matches (Kansas State, Baylor, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa State and Oklahoma).
- Kelsey Black leads A&M with 4.05 kills per set and is tops in the conference with 4.82 points per set.
- Defensively, the Aggies are led by Tori Mellinger (4.11 dps) and Stephanie Minnerly (1.11 bps).
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma has seven series wins against the Aggies. OU is 8-5 against A&M under head coach Santiago Restrepo.
- All three of OU's wins in College Station have come under Restrepo. OU also has four wins against the Aggies there.
- The Sooners defeated Texas A&M in five sets (25-22, 20-25, 25-20, 24-26, 15-10) on October 20 in Norman.
- Boulavsky had a match-high 20 kills, while Morgan Reynolds (13), Freudenrich (11) and McLaurin (10) also posted double-figure kills.
- Four Sooners had double-digit kills, led by Barker and Williams' 13 each. Barker had 49 assist and McLaurin tallied five total blocks.