March 22, 2009
COLLEGE STATION, Texas--The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team lost another road match on Sunday to No. 36 Texas A&M, 5-2.
Sunday's match was Oklahoma's twelfth road match this season and eighth match against a ranked opponent. The Sooners have played all four of their Big 12 matches against opponents ranked in the ITA top 75.
The Aggies claimed the early doubles point after winning two of three doubles matches. Oklahoma won at the No. 1 doubles spot behind sophomores Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Maria Kalashnikova. The duo defeated Janelle Cuthbertson and Stephanie Davidson of Texas A&M, 8-4.
"We started very slowly today," OU head coach David Mullins said. "It really hurt our chances of winning this match."
The Sooners standout singles player, Constantinescu, continued her success on Sunday. Constantinescu defeated Elzé Potgieter of Texas A&M, 6-4, 6-2. Constantinesu now holds an 11-2 record at the No. 1 singles spot this season. Freshman Peta Maree Lancaster defeated Texas A&M's Stephanie Davidson, 6-3, 6-4.
The Sooners return home next weekend after playing four-straight road matches in the past nine days. Oklahoma will face Kansas on Friday, March 27 at 6 p.m., and Kansas State on Sunday, March 29 at 1 p.m. Both matches will be held at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Okla.
No. 36 Texas A&M 5, Oklahoma 2
1. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Janelle Cuthbertson/Davidson (A&M), 8-4
2. Frank/Liles (A&M) def. Eckel/Huet (OU), 8-0
3. Olivier/E. Potgieter (A&M) def. Lancaster/Radan (OU), 8-1
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Elzé Potgieter (A&M), 6-4, 6-2
2. (113) Morgan Frank (A&M) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Christi Liles (A&M) def. Kristina Radan (OU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Lauren Santacroce (A&M) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Stephanie Davidson (A&M), 6-3, 6-4
6. Sheri Olivier (A&M) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-3, 5-7, 6-2