NORMAN, Okla. -- The OU men’s tennis team fell to No. 56 North Carolina State, 5-2, Saturday in Fresno, Calif.
Marek Velicka and Sergey Avdeyev were the only successful doubles pair of the day with their 8-3 win over the Wolfpack’s Andre Iritate and Christian Welte.
Doubles tandems of Federico Chavarria/Rob McKenzie and Andrei Daescu/Vaclav Kucera fell at the No. 1 and 2 slots, forfeiting the doubles point.
In singles competition No. 60 Andrei Daescu downed North Carolina State’s James McGee in the No. 2 spot. Daescu won the match in two sets 6-4, 6-0.
At No. 3 singles Velicka came out with an easy win over the Wolfpack’s Iritate in a quick two sets, 6-3, 6-2. Daescu and Velicka were the only Sooners to pick up wins in singles competition.
“I am proud of our effort,” OU Head Coach Paul Lockwood said. “We fought hard but we didn’t play well at certain positions. Losing the doubles point got us in trouble early in the match. We had opportunities but we couldn’t get it done.”
The loss snapped the Sooners nine-game winning streak. Oklahoma is now 10-2 on the season and looks to finish the weekend with a win over Fresno State Sunday.
“I am confident that we will be ready to play tomorrow,” Lockwood said.
Oklahoma will square off against Fresno State at 2 p.m. central. Results will be posted on SoonerSports.com as soon as the are available.
NC State 5, Oklahoma2
1. No. 35 Nick Cavaday (NSU) def. No. 111 V. Kucera (OU), 7-6 (3), 7-5
2. No. 60 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. James McGee (NSU), 6-4, 6-0
3. M. Velicka (OU) def. Andre Iriarte, 6-3, 6-2
4. William Noblitt (NSU) def. Rob McKenzie (OU), 6-4, 7-6 (7)
5. Jay Weinacker (NSU) def. Sergey Avdeyev (OU), 6-7(5), 6-1, 6-1
6. Christian Welte (NSU) d. Federico Chavarria (OU), 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-3
1. Cavaday/Noblitt (NSU) def. No. 42 Chavarria/McKenzie (OU), 8-5
2. McGee/Weinacker (NSU) def. Daescu/Kucera (OU), 9-8 (6)
3. Avdeyev/Velicka (OU) def. Iriarte/Welte (NSU), 8-3