March 23, 2012
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team shut out Iowa State, 7-0, Friday at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
Oklahoma (8-8, 3-1 Big 12) improved to 3-1 in conference play with the win. Next up, the Sooners host Missouri on Sunday at noon.
OU swept all three doubles matches to take the early 1-0 lead. The Sooners won the doubles point for the fifth straight match, OU is 8-2 overall after winning doubles.
Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie, ranked 34th nationally in doubles, defeated Fernanda Maria Macedo and Ksenia Pronina of Iowa State at the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-4, to improve to 13-3 on the season.
Nicole Long and Whitney Wofford clinched the doubles point win for OU with their 8-3 win over Marie-Christine Chartier and Tessa Lang of Iowa State at the No. 3 position.
Mia Lancaster and Abbie Melrose completed the doubles sweep for the Sooners after defeating ISU’s Simona Cacciuttolo and Jenna Langhorst at the No. 2 spot, 8-1.
The Sooners won five singles matches in straight sets to secure the win over the Cyclones.
Melrose won OU’s first singles point at the No. 4 spot after giving up just two game points over both sets to ISU’s Meghan Cassens, 6-1, 6-1.
Ritchie improved to 12-4 in singles after defeating Macedo, 6-1, 6-4.
Mia Lancaster clinched the win for OU with the Sooners’ fourth dual point Friday. Lancaster defeating Cacciuttolo of Iowa State, 6-2, 6-2, at the No. 3 spot.
Completing the shutout for OU was Wofford who won, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 6 spot, Huet who defeated Pronina at the No. 2 position, 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (5), and Long with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Langhorst at the No. 5 position.
OU faces Missouri on Sunday, March 25 at the Headington Family Tennis Center at noon. Admission to all OU home women’s tennis events is free.
Oklahoma 7, Iowa State 0
1. No. 34 Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Macedo/Pronina (ISU), 8-4
2. Lancaster/Melrose (OU) def. Cacciuttolo/Langhorst (ISU), 8-1
3. Long/Wofford (OU) def. Chartier/Lang (ISU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Fernanda Maria Macedo (ISU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU), 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (5)
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Meghan Cassens (ISU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Nicole Long (OU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Marie-Christine Chartier, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3*, 6, 2, 5