WACO, Texas - The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team fell to No. 11 Baylor, 6-1, on Tuesday at the Baylor Tennis Center in Waco, Texas. With the loss, the Sooners drop to 6-7 on the year and 1-1 in conference play. The Bears remain undefeated at 5-0 in the Big 12 and 14-3 overall.
Oklahoma won two of the three doubles matches to pick up the doubles point. The Sooners lost the first match at No. 1 singles, where sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr fell to No. 28 Zuzana Cerna and Klara Zrustova, 8-1. Sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina rallied at No. 2 doubles to defeat Zuzana Zemenova and Iva Mihaylova, 8-3. Juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice took the doubles point for the Sooners after winning the tiebreaker, 7-4, and the overall match, 9-8.
Despite a strong performance in doubles, the Sooners dropped all singles matches. At No. 5, Orr fell to Krchnakova, 6-2, 6-2, while Lykina suffered a similar fate at the No. 2 position against No. 16 Cerna, 6-0, 6-2. Baker followed and lost her match, 6-2, 6-2, to No. 8 Zemenova at No. 1 singles.
Baylor clenched the match at the No. 6 spot, where freshman Brittany Baldy dropped a, 6-2, 6-0, decision to Mihaylova. Baxley fell at No. 4 singles to No. 92 Daniela Covello, and Purice fought through a tough three matches but was ultimately defeated by Zrustova, 6-2, 3-6, 13-11.
The Sooners will be back in action on Saturday at 10 a.m. as they face Red River Rival Texas at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
1. No. 28 Cerna/Zrustova (BU) def. Baker/Orr (OU), 8-1
2. Baxley/Lykina (OU) def. Zemenova/Mihaylova (BU), 8-3
3. Anne Carter/Purice (OU) def. Covello/Krchnakova (BU), 9-8(4)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 8 Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. Gabby Baker (OU), 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 16 Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 6-2, 3-6, 13-11
4. No. 92 Daniela Covello (BU) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Brittany Baldy (OU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 1, 6, 4, 3