Sept. 2, 2010
|Oklahoma (3-1) at Houston Invitational|
|Info|| vs. No. 17 Tennessee | Friday, Sept. 3 | 3:30 p.m CT
vs. Houston | Saturday, Sept. 4 | Noon CT
vs. No. 13 Florida State | Saturday, Sept. 4 | 5 p.m. CT
|Location||Hofheinz Pavillion | Houston, Texas|
|Tickets||Available: $8 adults | $5 youth|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma is 8-46 against ranked teams under head coach Santiago Restrepo.
- Oklahoma has never beaten a ranked team at a neutral site.
- OU defeated Central Arkansas, 3-1, Wednesday evening at the McCasland Field House.
- The Sooners went 2-1 at the Nike Invitational to open the 2010 season.
- Oklahoma fell 3-0 to Wichita State on Friday night and rebounded to defeat UT-Arlington (3-0) and Miami (3-1).
- The Sooners held opponents to a .085 hitting percentage over the weekend.
- OU tallied 13 service aces at the Nike Invitational, including five against Miami on Saturday night.
- Every player on the Oklahoma roster saw action at the Nike Invitational.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky leads OU with a .396 hitting percentage and 3.71 kills per set.
- Boulavsky registed 19 kills against Central Arkansas.
- Junior setter Brianne Barker had the sixth 50-plus assists match of her career against Central Arkansas.
- Junior Caitlin Higgins recorded her first double-double of the season with 16 kills and 12 digs against UCA.
- Boulavsky and Barker were named to the Nike Invitational all-tournament team.
- Boulavsky led OU with 33 kills during the event. Barker had 87 assists and 21 digs during the tournament.
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin led the Sooners with 11 blocks.
- Senior Sarah Freudenrich had eight total blocks, including three block solos.
- Oklahoma head coach Santiago Restrepo won his 100th match at OU on August 28 against UT-Arlington.
- Both Boulavsky and freshman outside hitter Cortney Warren are from Houston.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- The series between Oklahoma and Tennessee is tied 1-1.
- The Sooners last met the Lady Vols on Sept. 6, 1997 (OU won 3-0 in Bloomington, Ind.)
- UT won the first meeting 2-0 on Oct. 17, 1981 in Tulsa, Okla.
- Houston leads the all-time series with the Sooners, 7-2.
- The two teams last met in 1997 during the NCAA Tournament.
- Houston leads 2-0 all-time in matches played in Houston. Both of the Sooners’ wins came at neutral sites.
- OU and Florida State have met just twice previously with each team winning one match. Both meetings were in 1979.
- Oklahoma has a combined 4-9 record against the tournament field.
- The Sooners travel to Springfield, Mo. for the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational next weekend.
Ekwerekwu Named Lowe's Finalist
University of Oklahoma volleyball senior Francie Ekwerekwu (Arlington, Texas) has been named one of 30 finalists for the inaugural Lowe's Senior CLASS Award for the sport of volleyball. From the list of 30 candidates, a national media committee will select 10 finalists for the 2010 Lowe's Senior CLASS Award in mid-October. Those 10 names will then be placed on the official ballot for a nationwide vote. Fan balloting will be coupled with votes from coaches and media to determine the recipient of the award. The winner will be announced at the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship in December.
Duo Named Preseason All-Big 12
Senior Francie Ekwerekwu was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 preseason team and junior Brianne Barker was named to the team, as well. Both Barker and Ekwerekwu earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors last season.
Sooners Selected to Finish Fourth
The University of Oklahoma volleyball team received 65 points to place fourth in the preseason coaches' poll. Nebraska received nine first-place votes and 98 points to finish just ahead of Texas (91). The Longhorns received two first-place votes. Iowa State (84) was third, followed by OU and Missouri (63). Baylor (52), Texas A&M (48), Kansas (38), Kansas State (37), Texas Tech (15) and Colorado (14) rounded out the voting.